Chiko collapsed to her knees, spent. Val lingered a few seconds longer before joining her. Their victory, if that was what one could call it, had cost them every remaining iota of their strength. It had also inflicted an emotional toll on them that began to come due almost immediately. There was no hiding what had been shared between them now. It should have filled them with relief, but the sudden influx of feeling had the inverse effect.

He saw her and she saw him for the first time. This was the worst thing Korta could have inflicted upon them. That, as Val realized upon seeing his Master's face, had been exactly as the old man had planned. Chiko stood first stumbling toward Korta, ignoring the pain that Val shared with her. Val winced as she fell short of the Knight by only a few paces.

She crawled a few more before collapsing unconscious at his feet. Korta looked at Val, smiling for the first time since they'd left Taris. "I think that's enough for the day." He said, his voice too jovial for Val to contain himself. The training sword flew from the ground, striking Korta in the head. The old man recoiled, stumbling a step before looking incredulously at Val. The last thing Val remembered as he faded into unconsciousness was the boisterous laughter of Korta as the old Knight held a hand to his bleeding head.

Val awoke two days later, as recounted to him by the Imperial officer assigned to him. Ensign Duor Kavos was a Raethi native. The tall and slim Echani was the picture of a young Imperial officer. His fair hair and angular features were striking, but he lacked the stereotypical haughtiness that most in the empire assumed of such young nobles. This was evident in the first interaction they shared upon Val awakening from his coma-like repose.

"Finally!" The ensign had said as Val had stepped out of his room, intending to speak with Chiko. He'd nearly involuntarily thrown Kavos across the corridor from the fright. "Oh-" he'd said, stepping back and saluting quickly, "I'm sorry sir, I thought you'd have sensed my-" he struggled for a moment, "never mind, Ensign Kavos, adjutant at your service sir." He said enthusiastically. Val's heart had returned to its normal rhythm by then, returning the man's salute. "Val's good enough for me ensign, at least when none of your superiors are around." He'd explained, knowing that the honorific would be enforced in their presence.

Kavos gave a thankful nod and a bright smile, "I understand. Thank you, Val." Val couldn't help but to return the smile, the man's energy was infectious, bright and full of determination. "So you're my adjutant?" Val asked, not entirely sure what that position entailed. "Yes, I had hoped to snag one of the older Knights but they all declined." He said, not hiding his disappointment. Val fixed him with an annoyed look, "So then I could decline as well?" He asked.

"Oh you most certainly could." Kavos replied with a sincere smile. "However, I think that decision would be detrimental for many reasons." He stated gesturing in the direction of the training room. "I can regale you with those if you'd like, or in writing if you'd prefer, you see there's a lot of paperwork that comes with the-" Val held up a hand, "Stop, you have me, I accept." He said with a knowing smile, "Not that I'm averse to writing, I just don't want to do it if you're offering."

Kavos smiled at that, "Korta said you were smart, I'm glad I asked you first, you're compatriot seemed... temperamental." Val nodded at that, his smile widening, "That's an apt description, yes." But Val knew that she had good reason to be. "I'm sure you're aware, but she is waiting for you in there." Kavos said, a bit of nervousness in his tone. "She seemed eager to discuss matters with you." He said, his implication clear, Val was headed into a fight.

Val nodded appreciatively, glad to finally have somebody to speak to. "I think you'll want to be elsewhere, this has been a long time coming." Val said, hoping his new friend understood. He did, or so it seemed, saluting briskly before turning and walking away, humming The Setting Suns, a tune Val knew all too well. It was an old song, an orchestral piece from long before the Darkness. He smiled as his mind recounted it. Kavos had picked up just before the climax of the piece, where the horns and strings came together to blare their final refrain.