Chapter 3: Family ties

Can and Sanem are both excited but nervous to let their families know of their love. They had already talked with and had the support of Emre and Leila but their parents were next. Can knew that his father would be happy for him as long as he was happy and he did not really have a relationship with his mother nor did he really want to. He felt pretty confident on his side. Sanem grew up in a loving family with lots of support but with also a lot of rules and expectations. On the drive over, he was planning on what he was going to say to Sanem's parents, Nihat and Mevkibe. His palms were sweating and his breaths were hot and heavy. He knew it had to be done and he and Sanem agreed that no matter what they were going to stay together and with that thought he slowed his breathing down and smiled. Can arrived at the Aydin house and Sanem greeted him at the door. Can's mouth dropped because his beautiful girlfriend was standing there looking even more stunningly beautiful than normal. She was wearing a blush pink dress that hugged her curves in a tasteful way but he couldn't help but lick his lips and have his thoughts wander. Sanem smiled up at Can and thought, "damn, he looks so good in his black shirt and tight jeans, all his muscles are on show." She loved that he always wore jewelry and her pink bandana was always wrapped on his arm.
Upon arriving and changing into slippers, Can and Sanem went to greet and talk to Sanem's parents. Nihat was seated at the table and Mevkibe was at the stove, they both looked up to smile at their guests. Sanem asked her mother to sit down next to her father because she and Can needed to talk to them. Mevkibe and Nihat looked at one another not understanding. Sanem began by addressing her parents and talking about how she was an adult with a great job that she loved and was good at, Can nodded and smiled in agreement. Sanem went further to explain that she was doing well and was independent but always willing to help out her family, both her parents agreed. Mevkibe grabbed Sanem's hands and said "yes daughter we are so proud of you and who you are, so what is this all about?" Sanem proceeded by saying, " well at my job I not only found what I am good at but also my love" and looked at Can.  Her parents looked at each other and said "but isn't he your boss?" Can butted in at this time and said " well yes technically I am the boss but Sanem is my equal and has wonderful ideas that have really helped out the agency". He followed with " I fell in love with her for not only her beauty and heart but her creativity, confidence and how she makes me feel". Sanem grabbed Can's hand and brushed her thumb across his knuckles and smiled her beautiful, dimpled smile that Can loved so much. Mevkibe and Nihat though a little confused because Sanem had never even had a boyfriend before, smiled at the couple and nodded their heads. They asked what their plans were and Sanem and Can explained that they wanted to spend as much time together as they could getting to know one another. Mevkibe and Nihat agreed. Sanem and Can left her house with beaming smiles to pursue their love.

The next day, which was Saturday Can planned to bring Sanem with him to meet with his father but an unexpected late visit from a client at the office put that on hold.  With a pouty upper lip, Can assured Sanem that it would happen soon and gave her cheeks a pinch. As promised Can brought Sanem to dinner with his father the next day. Can's father, Aziz was surprised with his eldest son's change in attitude about love after meeting this one woman. He stared at the two during dinner and knew that they were in love and meant to be. Aziz also gave his blessing. So with the blessings of her parents, his father and their siblings they felt that it was time to "shout it to the world".
Little did they know that, Huma was back in Istanbul and had heard rumors of her son and a relationship with a "tea girl". Huma though *over my dead body will my son be with someone who is so beneath him that she is not worthy to clean his boots*. Huma made arrangements to head the agency the next day and put a stop to this "relationship". She was determined for her son's to marry within their own social group. So with a renewed purpose to "squash this little tea girl under her heels" she went to bed in her hotel room to rest in order to wake up early to do her duty.