Lafayette takes the other seat beside me. "Above all else, you must use common sense."

"You'll need curiosity," Hadrian adds.

"And patience," Destan says.

"And you must be disarming," Lavernia says. "Likeable. Unthreatening. You need to gain people's trust so they will entrust you with their secrets. Do it well enough and they will spill them out before you even ask."

Embarrassment heats my face at the fact that they even have to tell me this. "Am I...unlikeable?" I ask hesitantly. I never felt like I fit in at court, but could I really be so unaware?

"Hardly," Lavernia replies. "I like you, but you're like an adorable fawn trying to use its legs for the first time. I want to take you under my wing, but I'm not going to trust you with a secret that might harm me."

"I see," I reply. "So how do I become this disarming, unthreatening spy."

"You must do a better job of assimilating to the culture of Versailles," Lavernia says.

That, I can agree to. I've felt out of place in this beautiful world since I arrived. "Where do I start?"

"I have taken the liberty of drawing up a list of all the rules of etiquette we can think of, but it is imperative that you learn the noble art of compliments," Lafayette says.

"Compliments?" I ask.

"Yes," he continues. "As you've probably surmised, the court of Versailles is full of nobles desperate for belonging and significance. They are so desperate to feel important that it's considered rude not to compliment someone at least once if you have a conversation with them. But, if you can pay someone a truly wonderful compliment, then you have won them to your side."

"But you must tread carefully," Lavernia cuts in. "You can't compliment appearance because you may be perceived wrong. The same goes for accomplishments. And you mustn't be too witty. Too few of the nobility have a mind for wit and you risk embarrassing them."

"So what can I compliment?"

"Manners, perhaps," Lavernia says. "Or just their comportment."

My mouth falls open in shock. "Is that all?"

"Yes. And you do not want to be caught recycling compliments. They must be original and tailored to the person you want to compliment."

I press a palm to my sweating forehead. "Is all this really necessary? I thought my role was firmly behind the scenes."

Lavernia places a steadying hand on my arm. "You currently occupy a very coveted position at court. A position Morel's fame and good favor have afforded you. If you do not prove yourself a worthy addition to life at court, another painter will rise up and take your place."

"And because your presence has also been requested at one of Queen Henriette's private parties," Lafayette adds.

My stomach flips like I've been thrown to the floor again. "Why?"

"That's the question we're all asking ourselves," Destan says.

"But what about befriending Dame Charlotte D'Ambois? I don't want to get in the way of the order's plans," I protest and wipe my sweating hands on my skirts.

"For all we know, Queen Henriette's invitation has no relation to my courtship of her sister. I'm more inclined to believe this is entirely to do with the acclaim your paintings received at the Academy Salon."

"Oh," I say. "If you're sure..."

"You'll be fine," Destan says sharply. "If you listen and do what we tell you."