Chapter Six

Kyson and I, after I told him we were together again didn't fight... for a whole two days. After we resolved every fight he just reminded me we were going to have to get used to one another and find our groove again. Which I don't completely understand  considering we've known each other and have been together for over a year with only a few hours of us being apart.

On the brighter side, today's graduation day, I can finally leave this high school life behind and look forward to being my self, not worrying about what my friends or anyone else thinks and study what I love.

"What time should we all come to yours tonight?" Amy says to me as I pass by her to line up in alphabetical order like I was instructed. I thought throwing a high school party could be a good ending to my high school experience, a final goodbye to my friends that I was close with but never really bonded with as well as my friends who were there for me this past year.

"Um like nine I think?" I say unsure of how long it will take everyone to get to my house from across town.

After 30 minutes of greetings from teachers and other people's names being called I finally get called onto the stage. 

"Melanie Rose, graduating with honors. Melanie has received the subject award for Leadership and has received a scholarship from CWFC for a thousand dollars. Congratulations Melanie on your achievements." My principle says over the microphone to all the parents, teachers and students seated as he steps away, hands me my diploma and shakes my hand.

I go back to my chair, making sure I don't trip in my heels as I walk down the stairs and check my phone since I've been lined up and I couldn't bring it up with me because the teachers told us before we went in the ceremony room it looked 'unprofessional' and directed all of us to leave it on our seats as our names were called.

7:12**Kyson: Hey, make sure you don't trip on the stage!**

I laugh at classic Kyson knowing I'm clumsy. But my smile slowly starts to fade as I read the next text messages.

7:16**Kyson: So Jake and Daniel want to come to your party with me, is that fine?**

7:20**Kyson: Why aren't you answering? WTF you know they're my best friends, I'm graduating too, I think it's fair for me to bring them.**

7:32**Kyson: If they can't come I don't even want to see you. I deserve to celebrate too not just you, that's pretty inconsiderate to just think about yourself. YOU'RE SO FUCKIN SELFISH**

7:35**Melanie: Hey I couldn't see my texts I left my phone on my chair, we weren't allowed to have it on us, of course, they can come.**

7:35**Kyson: Honestly this whole thing is pathetic just like you**

7:36** Kyson: Oops looks like we texted at the same time, thanks for letting them come, babe, I'm so excited!**

7:40 ** Melanie: I don't think I deserved that blow-up, I couldn't go on my phone, of course, I'd let your friends come, why do you always think so low of me?**

8:23** Kyson: I don't even know if I want to come anymore with you acting like this, I just want to have a good time tonight and the three of us have our parents home so we can't at our houses. Do you even want me to come?**

8:24** Melanie: Of course I want you to come, but only if you want to.**

8:25 **Kyson: Guess I'll have to think about it now.**

After my whole conversation with Kyson, I don't even want to have a party anymore.  After an hour or so of names being called, speeches and applauds, I head out of the banquet hall with my dad, mom and sister following. As soon as I get home I start taking out snacks and the graduation decorations my mom got for me. Before I know it my backyard is filled with 20 people.

This is what I need, people surrounding me who the  majority of the time care for me. 

"Melanie, can you come here a second?" My mom calls out to me from the backyard door. I get up from sitting beside the pool and walk inside to my sister and her. "Is Kyson coming tonight?" she says as soon as I close the door behind me.

I fill her in on the texts that were exchanged between us during the ceremony. My mom, sister and I are all really close, we talk about everything... like everything. As if almost on cue Kyson comes inside with his two friends following.

"Hi." He says to my mom and sister without looking at me and heads straight to the bathroom as he pulls out his swim trunks from his bag. Without another word as he leaves the bathroom, he walks outside with his two friends following. 

I look at my mom and raise my eyebrows at her "I guess today he's just here for the party." I say laughing. "Is it okay if I grab some drinks downstairs for Annie and me?" I say to my mom.

"Yes of course." She replies. 

Annie has been my best friend since grade six. She's come with me on multiple family vacations so my moms not hesitant to letting us drink. I go downstairs and get two drinks from the fridge, head back outside and give one to Annie.

Kyson, sitting beside Annie, looks at me and says "What nothing for me? That's fine I brought my own I know you don't like to give out." He says, with a snarky attitude, insinuating me not putting out for him.

"I'm gonna go get us cups," I say to Annie smiling as she looks at me worried.

I go back inside and grab plastic cups, just in case we drop them. My mom looks at me and can see I'm mad. "What's wrong sweets?" she asks in a low, worried voice. 

"I don't know I'm just not having it with Kyson right now. If he pushes one more button I'm done." I say and huff out air.

I put my sandals back on, and try and close the house door behind me. 

That's when I see it. It gets my attention because I can hear Annie's voice saying "stop it" in a rather mad tone. I look over to her holding up her phone in the air as Kyson reaches for it with one hand, while his other hand, slides up her stomach, over her breasts, it lingers there and he goes to grab her arm to hold it down at her side. My eyes catch hers. She mouths "help" and in seconds I'm in front of them yelling before I can even process what's happening.