The Texts

The next day, once my mom had finally calmed down and I was able to speak again, I called Olivia back.

"Hey Olivia! Umm its Brie, from yesterday. I.. I'm sorry i missed your call yesterday. I was in the shower and umm, my mom had me do some extra chores last night so I couldn't call back. But umm yeah. So i guess I'll talk to you later. Bye."

She did not answer so I left that in her voicemail to listen to later.

Hopefully she'd listen to it.

I stood up from my bed and cringed. I was positively sore all over from last night.

I looked down at my stomach and imagined the pain radiating from it like awful snakes.

I limped to the bathroom quietly (since my parents were both still asleep) and flicked the light on softly.

I saw a small, thin and dried smear of blood still on the floor and i wiped at it with my sock. It came of in small burgundy flakes that blended into the filth of the tile floors.

Then i turned to the mirror to view the results from last night.

Luckily my face only had a one small bruise under my eye. It could be easily blamed on a lack of sleep.

My arms were sore and red with dried scratches, and my previous self-harm scabs were reforming once again.

I pulled my shirt up to uncover many dark black bruises along my rib cage. They had small dots spread inside them and were monstrously sore to the touch.

My legs were sore from the attempts of trying to defend myself from my mother's vicious attacks, and walking was hardly an option.

What kind of monster was I bred from?

I felt a quick buzz in my pocket and pulled my phone out. I knew better this time around than to leave the sound on for my mom to hear.

I read the screen. There was a text. From Olivia...

I took a hard swallow and stared at the blinking notification. I listened as my heartbeat punched against my ears.

I finally got th courage to move my thumb to the bottom of the screen and open it up.

I released a breath as I began to read the message:

" Hey Brie! Sorry i couldnt answer your call a few minutes ago. My mom and i were talking and she gets all upset when i talk on the phone. Lol!"

I smiled releived that she actually responded to me.

I texted back:

"Don't sweat it ;) i was just wondering if you needed something last night when you called?"

That sounds good. Not too wierd right?

I stared at the screen worriedly as i waited for her next response.

Another buzz:

"Yeah! I was actually wondering if you wanted to hang out some today? You know, so you can have a better bond with me?"

Wait what??

Then another startling buzz:

"You know so you have some more friendships on the team?"

That seems a little, strange. First she said her.

I shook it off to reply.

"Sure. :p how about we get some ice cream or something? I can drive us this time lol!"

Why did I type 'lol'? That wasn't funny was it?

"Sounds perfect! Let's meet at the practice gym and then we can go to the Baskin Robins down the street."

Damn, does this girl ever send smiles in her texts? Or am I just sending too many?

"Okay. :) I'll meet you at 1:00. And I hope you bring your appetite, because I'm paying you back for Sonic yesterday by buying the biggest sundae possible for you :p."

Okay maybe my response was too playful but I have to see where I stand with her.

Her response? Short of what I had hoped for.

"Okay. See you at one Brie."

And that was it.. My hopes of that being a flirty as fuck response were crushed by a period.

At least I can still buy some ice cream for her, almost like a... DATE!

Oh my God.. Did Olivia just askme out on a date?! Sort of..?

I began to feel my appetite come back again, and I didn't know if it was because I was seeing Olivia again and the tension and hope of this 'date', or if I was just excited about that sundae..