Chapter 1 - The Thrill of the Kill

11 years ago ...

Caden's POV (12)

I can barely mask my excitement.

The day has finally arrived.

Our day...

I woke up at the crack of dawn, got ready, and made my way deeper into our forest. The prisoner wolf, chained and gagged, was already standing in the pack Fighting Grounds (an area commonly used by members to spar) – however today the pack has gathered for a whole different reason.

Today is my 12th birthday.

Today is the day I will be taking my first kill.

As I walked closer to my prey, my pack eagerly started to encircle me to form an area of combat. The familiar winners anthem started - my pack members ensuring the cheers and howls echoed proudly throughout the forest.

I shifted my attention to the wolf before me. Judging by the scent of the captive, he was a Fallen Alpha – a trophy prisoner of a pack we defeated. He seemed to be around 30yrs of age, at the peak of his health and was watching me with eyes full of hate. Hate that I so rightfully earned.

Father picked a good one. I couldn't help agree with Bane, the thought only helping to fuel my eagerness to start. Try not to bash his head in too much, Bane. I want to keep his skull as a momento. 

I smirked as he continued to give me a strong glare – probably hoping for me to drop dead. My smirk grew wider as I saw him take a defensive stance against me – a mere child – a hint of fear escaping onto his face. I must admit, he had been well looked after these past few weeks (for a prisoner), and it was all for this day.

Our day of ascension... the day we progress from cub to wolf.

The prisoner was released from his silver-laced shackles  and thrown mid-ring - indicating the start the battle. His win would mean his freedom, and a signal for my death - my failure a sign of being unfit to be Alpha.

But that was not an option, with me being Father's only son.

There is no room for failure.

Failure is not an option.

As my father's Beta (Greyson Matthews) signalled the start of battle, the ex-Alpha wasted no time in shifting to his auburn wolf – charging at me to make the first hit. I didn't waste time in showing the pack my strength, and fathers' teachings. As my body surged with a new found rush of adrenaline, I shifted into my Midnight Black wolf and instantly countered his lunge – switching positions so he landed on his back with me on top of him. He kicked me off him before I could cause any damage but the cheers coming from my pack indicated clearly who they believed would win.

Us.

Not wanting to prove them wrong, I charged at him as he tried to claw me – dodging his blow and swiftly going in for the kill. I made sure to bite his throat deeply, watching as he struggled to liberate himself from the pain. His eyed dilated as he seemed to understand what was happening.

Blood. I relished the taste as life slowly seeped from his body – anger, pain and sorrow all clearly reflected in the eyes of my prey. My chest swelled with pride. I made sure to let the pack enjoy watching him die, intentionally making his death slow and painful to prolong the glorifying moment.

I have killed before, but never another wolf. It was as how I expected it to be.

It felt divine.

When I knew the prey was dead, I succumbed to the pleasure of my win as the crowd applauded. My father made his way to me, his eyes mirroring the smugness I knew I held in mine. I turned back to my human form as my father crowned me as his rightful heir – the pack bowing to show their approval and loyalty to me.

Alpha of the Blood Lust Pack.

I like the sound of that.

I felt the power radiate off me as the acceptance of every member was sent through the pack link. I wasted no time in choosing my Beta – Tate Matthews, 1st son of my fathers' Beta. Every male member was given a piece of my prey, savouring the flavour of the kill.

I instructed the Omega's to distribute the significantly larger pieces of meat I cut between the Alpha and Beta family members, satisfying their urge to display their superiority in front of the pack members.

When the feast was over, all pack members expressed what they thought of my magnificent show of strength against an experienced Alpha. I couldn't say I wasn't pleased with how it went, still relishing his sweet taste as I licked the last of his blood off my teeth. I can't wait to participate in fathers' wars – I will be permitted to do from now on.

Can't wait to do this again.

**** AUTHORS NOTE ****

[PLAYLIST: Skillet - Monster]

So.. how are you all enjoying it?

Am I living up to your standards for this book?? :)

Please dont forget to press vote people ;) .. thankyou!

~(Picture: Caden's wolf, Bane)~