What's On Your Mind

Word Count: 880

Pairings: Sherlock Holmes x Reader

Warnings: angst, fluff

A/N: request from DragonQueen99

Summary: You tended to test your limits, quiet frequently, although that wasn't entirely your fault. Sherlock had a habit of dragging you along on cases, to better 'utilize' your gift, or so he said. Of course you never could refuse, even when you probably should have.

............................................................

He could almost see the exhaustion on your face from the other side of the room. The tiredness in your eyes, and the subtle way you leaned on the wall for support. You stood quietly in the corner, simply observing everyone around you.

"Do try not to strain yourself, it'd be inconvenient for me to have to carry you home." Sherlock spoke up from where he stood over the body.

Everyone's eyes fell on you, and their thoughts rapidly changed from the case at hand to confused unspoken questions. You shot Sherlock a scolding glare.

"You asked me here, remember." You said.

"Yes, I asked you to help, not feebly pass out in the process."

"Oh dear..." John muttered.

You raised a hand to your head, pressing your fingers to your temple in an effort to ease the ache you began to feel.

"Yes, Anderson he is absolutely an ass." You muttered.

All eyes fell on Anderson who looked confused and uncomfortable.

"I-I didn't say anything..." Anderson spoke up.

"You didn't need to, your negative thoughts about Sherlock are hard to ignore." You said with a bitter laugh.

Sherlock frowned and shouted for everyone to leave, claiming they were dulling his IQ even John was made to leave.

"Don't be getting careless just because you've got a bit of a headache. That's not a secret you need to be freely uttering to these idiots." Sherlock scolded you as if you were a child.

You only half listened to him, the thoughts of everyone in the next room still blaring loudly in your own mind. You pinched the bridge of your nose, closing your eyes for a moment.

"It's hard to stop once I've started, it's not my fault your colleagues think such ill thoughts about you."

When did the room start to spin?

"Then stop listening to their thoughts." He said simply as if it were that easy.

"How can I? They might as well be screaming them."

You felt dizzy.

"Or maybe you need more practice." Sherlock muttered.

You don't remember what you said after that or even what happened. Your world simply went black, but you faintly felt someone catching you as you collapsed.

~

When you did open your eyes again, you found that you were no longer in that bloody room from the crime scene. You stared at the familiar ceiling, as you blinked your eyes in a futile attempt to clear your blurry vision.

"Oh, are finally awake?"

You struggled to sit up for a moment, and Sherlock came into view. Although he looked a little blurry, he wrapped an arm around your waist, helping you sit up.

"Are you feeling ok? Any stiffness? You took quite the nasty fall."

His uncharacteristic concern made you smile for a moment.

"I'm fine Sherlock." You muttered.

You took note that you were no longer in the clothes you had been. Instead, you wore a pair of pajamas pants you had stolen from Sherlock months ago and a t-shirt that smelled of him.

"Where are my clothes?" You questioned.

Sherlock seemed confident enough that you could sit up on your own, and he stood.

"I assumed you'd want something more comfortable." He told you as he walked out of the room.

You didn't respond only held your head in your hands as you rubbed your temple. You couldn't help but listen to Mrs. Hudson and John who were in the living room.

"Don't be stupid, I've already had to carry you home, I'd rather not babysit you any longer, I do have things to do." Sherlock sighed as he walked back in the room.

You opened your eyes, your vision a little less blurry now. He stood beside the bed a white pill in one hand and a porcelain cup in the other.

"Don't you normally encourage me to read minds?" You mumbled as you gratefully accepted the aspirin he offered.

"Yes, when it's beneficial to a case, or perhaps just to mess with John."

You smirked a little at that, sipping the bitter tea he had brought you. You made a face, and he sat beside you on the bed.

"Sugar will only make your headache worse, now don't be difficult, drink it all."

You did as he said, murmuring your distaste for the drink all the while.

"Come here."

He motioned for you to rest your head on his shoulder, and you raised an eyebrow in question.

"Don't look at me so distrustful, if you'd rather I leave you to wallow in pain alone then I will. I've got plenty of other things I'd much rather be doing." Sherlock tsked.

You laughed a little, but laid your head on his shoulder nonetheless. He lightly rubbed your temple, easing the dull ache in your skull.

"Sorry to cut your investigation short."

"It wasn't entirely your fault, perhaps I shouldn't have pushed you."

That was as close to an apology as you would get from him. In a shocking display of affection he placed a quick kiss to the top of your head. It was a brisk kiss but comforting nonetheless.

"Careful Holmes, your feelings are showing."

He scoffed lightly, but you caught the smile that tugged at his lips, as he held you just a little tighter.