Love is Blind

Word Count: 761

Pairings: Sherlock x Reader

Warnings: angst, possible trigger, mention of blood

A/N: Feel free to drop me a request, and enjoy the story!

Summary: You moved around just fine on your own. You very rarely needed help and when you did, you could always count on the consulting detective to lend you an arm.

……………………………………………………

Your leg bounced impatiently as you sat on the bench at the bus stop. The bus you usually took had a new driver, one who was unaware of the fact that you were blind and had dropped you off at the wrong stop. You had no idea where you were or how far you were from your flat. Your phone had died and you could feel yourself growing more and more stressed. You barely heard anyone, and had begun to suspect it was getting late.

“Taxis are much more reliable than buses. Why do you insist on taking a bus?”

You turned your head in the direction the voice and smiled. You’d know that voice anywhere.

“I’m a creature of habit Sherlock, and buses are cheaper.” You shrugged.

“You’re on Park Road, that’s how reliable your bus is, that’s two streets away from Baker Street.”

You frowned and your leg started bouncing again, a nervous habit you had.

“I don’t know how to get around Park Road.” You said, your voice barely above a whisper.

“Yes, I know.” Sherlock sighed.

You heard him move beside you and noted the second pair of footsteps. You felt almost embarrassed you hadn’t noticed the other person sooner.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t notice you there, my name is Y/N.” You smiled.

Your eyes stared vacant, at the spot where the person stood. Or at least where you assumed they stood.

“I’m John, it’s nice to meet you Y/N.”

John held his hand out for you to shake, but when you didn’t he let his hand fall awkwardly to his side. He didn’t notice Sherlock’s amused smile.

“Oh, you’re Sherlock’s flatmate I’ve heard so much about!”

You couldn’t see his reaction to that but judging by the extended silence on his end, he was surprised.

“Do you plan on sitting here all night or will you be going home soon?” Sherlock asked bored.

You rolled your eyes and stood up. You felt around for your bag for a moment but couldn’t find it. Had someone taken it? You really hoped not.

“I’ve got it.” Sherlock said noticing your hands feeling around for it.

You smiled at him before grabbing his arm. John watched Sherlock lead you down the street curiously, before hurrying after the two of you.

“I’ve moved the furniture slightly around the flat, not by much only a few inches, hardly noticeable.” Sherlock said.

John shot Sherlock a look and opened his mouth to comment but you spoke first.

“You’re not going to let me trip this time, are you? I cut my knee last time.” You raised an eyebrow.

“Of course not, that was only once.”

“Twice Sherlock.”

John looked between the two of you, confused. You and Sherlock seemed close, but John hadn’t heard anything about you.

“There’s someone walking towards us on your side.” Sherlock said.

You let him pull you more towards him and John’s eyes widened in realization.

“Y/N, are you… are you blind?”

You turned your head in the direction of his voice and laughed slightly.

“Have been for the last ten years, I was poisoned.” You shrugged.

He suddenly felt stupid for attempting to shake your hand earlier.

“You get around very well.”

He sounded nervous, like he didn’t know what else to say in this sort of situation.

“I’ve had plenty of practice.” You joked.

Sherlock pulled you away from a puddle and John watched as you gave the consulting detective a confused look. Sherlock told you about the puddle and you nodded. The two of you seemed to have a system, and he began to wonder just how well you knew Sherlock.

“Does he do this often?” John smirked.

If he saw the glare Sherlock gave him, he didn’t react.

“Almost any time I need help going somewhere Sherlock offers to take me.”

John grinned widely at this information and looked at Sherlock.

“Does he now?”

“Occasionally he likes to have me help him with experiments, like seeing how long it’ll take me to figure out how to move around the flat if he changes the furniture.”

“Oh look we’re here, do stop talking now.” Sherlock huffed.

John was surprised to find that you didn’t live far from them. He was even more surprised when you gently ran your fingers over Sherlock’s cheek before kissing it.

“Goodnight, it was nice to meet you John!”

You closed the door and John turned to Sherlock.

“Don’t ask stupid questions John, it’s obvious who she is to me.” Sherlock said walking away.

“But she is your girlfriend right? Sherlock!”