xxxvi. heart of glass

chapter thirty-six
heart of glass

 THE BAT SWUNG almost in slow motion — cutting through the air, and the first thing that hit the glass were the poorly knocked in nails on the edge of the bat. First, the glass only cracked, thin lines stretching away from where the bat had it. The bat got pulled back before it hit the window again at the same weak spot. The glass shook before it shattered into pieces, crashing to the tiled floor of the store. The sound echoed through the empty mall, and an annoyed "Rue!" was heard seconds after.

 Booming footsteps became louder. The girl panicked and swiftly shoved the bat with nails into the arms of the boy next to her.

 Nancy Wheeler had bags of candy in her arms as she stood before them, tapping her foot on the floor, clearly bothered. They were supposed to be stocking up for their trip to Illinois. Jonathan said that it would be a long one, and they should grab stuff to eat and things for the kids to entertain themselves with on the ride there.

 Alex had said that it was a horrible idea to be taking things they couldn't afford, and that he didn't have enough money on him to pay for the items. Everyone ignored him.

 "He obviously did it," Rue pointed at Mike and the bat in his hands. His mouth dropped as he glared at her.

 "I did not!" He exclaimed.

 Rue turned to him, "Yes, you did!"

 "You literally just—"

 "You're the one with the weapon!" She shot back, "That's suspicious, don't you think?"