xxxiii. satan's baby? i think yes

chapter thirty-three
satan's baby? i think yes

 NANCY WHEELER WAS A disastrous — horrible — reckless driver. Every kid in the car questioned how she'd ever get her driver's license. And they wondered how Jonathan was staying calm as he put pressure on El's leg.

 "Nancy. . ." Alex mumbled over the sound of the tires screeching as the older teenager turned the corner carelessly. They were lucky it was late, and the streets of the small town of Hawkins were empty with everyone at the fair — or else Nancy would have gotten arrested.

 "Yes, Alex?" Nancy huffed, looking at the back seat for a second before looking back at the road.

 Alex's face had gone sickly pale, and the tip of his nose was turning green. His eyes were blown wide, and his hair flopped messily over his face as he stared at El's bleeding leg. "I think — I need to throw up." He had said it quietly, terrified that if he had spoken any louder, the vomit would have escaped from his stomach.

 "What was that?!"

 "I think—"

 "I can't hear you,"

 "I—" There was another reckless turn from Nancy, and the streetlights seen as orange blurs out the car windows. "—Ss—stop the car—"

 Nancy laughed worriedly, "We can't stop the car—"

 Alex began to panic, looking between the blood on El's leg to Nancy. The green had spread from his nose to his cheeks, and his stomach had weaved unnaturally. He felt a hand on his shoulder, "Lex, are you okay?"