xiii. everything is not okay

chapter thirteen
everything is not okay

 SUNDAY NIGHTS ARE usually full of people regretting how they've spent their last day of the weekend doing nothing, and then, the next day was Monday, and they'd have to wait six days until they can try again to enjoy their Sunday, only for them to waste it, again.

 But in Hawkin's Indiana, there were three kids and a teenager, hiding in an old school bus while waiting for a monster to show. And not so far away, there were three other kids and two adults. They sat around in a hospital room, waiting for the chief of police and the doctor to come back from sending soldiers in dangerous tunnels to burn it down after a thirteen-year-old possessed boy had told them to.

   "I always feel like somebody's watchin' me . . . and I have no privacy!"

 Rue bopped her head to the song by Rockwell and Michael Jackson that blasted in her ears, blocking out any other sound in the room. Her lips sync to the lyrics, using two fingers as drums on her lap.

  "I always feel like somebody's watchin' me . . . tell me is it just a dream?"

 Rue was in her best mood with the beat of the rock song, pulling her away from all her worries. Sure, she may look a little crazy as she danced to herself in a chair. But who cares?

  "I always feel like somebody's watchin' me (Hee-hee-hee!) And I have no priv - "

 Her headphones were pulled away, and she turned her head at Mike Wheeler, who had an incredibly annoyed look on his freckled face.