7 | welcome home

ONE SHOT VII.

( welcome home. )

It's Saturday afternoon, and Giyuu's come home. It's one more finished mission added to the list, and he breathes a bit easier because of it—a bit more every demon he slaughters, a bit more every demon that dies. Still, he's tired. 

He just wants to lay by Sabito's side, now. 

It's a surprise—because they don't see each other much at home, always away in their missions and assignments—when Giyuu opens the door and finds Sabito's shoes on the front. But he's happy about it. So, so happy about it. 

"Sabito?" He asks. "I'm home."

He savors those words, unused on his tongue, and a twitch of lips brings itself onto his mouth. If Sabito's home—if only for one afternoon—then maybe they can rest, each other's presence keeping their instincts at bay. 

"Wha—Giyuu?" He hears his voice. "Welcome back!" He shouts, not even a second later.

He's smiling, when he comes to Giyuu's vision field. God, he's smiling. Bright, and so unapologetically Sabito, a grin so delighted it makes Giyuu's heart swell and beat fast, faster, and he can hear it at the edge of his mind, each heartbeat linked to his partner. 

It's the same smile he flashed at him at thirteen, when they both passed the exam, bleeding—and him, with shame, because he'd been unconscious the entire time except for the last few hours—and exhausted, boyish and free; it has always left him breathless, and it probably always will. 

It's the same grin he wore when they got out of the reunion with Oyakata-sama as Twin Water Pillars, because Sabito wouldn't accept anything else. It has a tint of triumph, and elation, and it makes him so incredibly handsome Giyuu sometimes can't believe Sabito wants him back, loves him back. 

The intensity of Sabito's grip on his torso welcomes him back to reality—and, if Giyuu's to be honest, he could get himself lost in those arms. The warmth of Sabito's body is clinging to his colder temperature, all thanks to the snowfall that's happening outside, and he shivers in pleasure, sighing when, even after a long moment, neither of them lets go. 

It feels like home.

(Sabito's always been his.)

The weight of his Nichirin is heavy on his waist, and it digs into his hips—and surely into Sabito's, too—but he doesn't let go. Not yet, not when he's surrounded by the scent of his lover and best friend, of his partner. 

(Lover sounds too casual, he thinks, and best friend cuts short for what they are. Sabito is his everything, and the reason he can cry—Sabito is his home and his path, his beginning and his end.)

(He will never be anything less.)

"Aren't you back early?" Sabito murmurs, still not giving up the embrace. 

Giyuu nods on his shoulder—the bastard is taller than him, has always been except for that short period at fifteen where he grew up faster and got his well-deserved revenge—and revels in the softness of Sabito's clothes that clash with the roughness of his skin, years of training having left their mark. 

(The first time he noticed that, he blushed.)

(Who knew silky, smooth skin wasn't what he was into? Not him until he touched Sabito's, that's for sure.)

"I'm glad," his partner in all—even in crime—finally says, after a few moments of silence. It's more of a whisper, really, and it tickles his ear and makes him red, which makes Sabito chuckle when he notices it—because, of course, he notices it.

Giyuu stays silent, but somehow manages to tighten up his grip, and Sabito's chuckles turn into coughs real quick. 

They let go after that, lingering where they can. 

Giyuu's stomach roars, and then Sabito's laughing again. 

Teasingly, he smirks. "Hungry?" After a smile send his way, he says: "Don't worry, I was just making dinner."

They're not married. Not yet, at least.

And even knowing that, as he walks behind him, Giyuu can't help but think that maybe a ceremony to speak their vows to each other isn't really necessary. Not when he already knows what feelings hide beneath Sabito's actions, not when Sabito already knows all the words he doesn't say out loud.

Maybe one day he'll call Sabito his husband. 

Or maybe they'll die before that. 

(Being Demon Slayers, nobody knows for sure when the last night will be, after all.)

It doesn't matter to him, though, not really. 

Sabito's already his home. 

(Everything else is just pleasantries.)

(Still, he says yes, three months later, because Sabito's asked and he can never say no to him—not that he would even try, not when it comes to them, and not when it comes to him.)

(Seeing Sabito smiling, both of them in their formal clothes, as the Oyakata binds them together for the rest of their lives, is still one of the happiest memories he has. Not because of the wedding—they were bound way before that, believe him—but because Sabito looks like he's just gifted him the universe, and his heart beats at the sight: fast, faster; because even after all these years all he can do when Sabito smiles is stare mesmerized, breathless, completely enamored—)

(—because, well, who wouldn't be when Sabito is smiling at them?)