Chapter Twenty-Six

Glory

Luck was stupid.

She had attempted breaking in. She had attempted breaking out. And now her friends laid by her side, unconscious, an inch away from death.

And Morrowseer was alive.

SHE HATED HER LIFE. AHHHH.

Ever since she was a little kid, she wanted to become a hero in a story. Fighting monsters and be looked up to (She had spent some time of her life fangirling over percabeth and such. Gods, this was embarrassing).

But she had never thought of the consequences- perhaps that was why she hated it now. She was in dangerous situations (aka being tricked by a cute assassin, or being threatened constantly, or being held hostage by an evil witch). She fought monsters (aka Morrowseer and Greatness). And it sucked.

"Glory?" Sunny murmured in her sleep. Her usual merry face was replaced by a pale, deathly version of Sunny. She was trembling in cold, which broke her heart.

I promised to keep them safe. Glory laughed at herself. Ha! Right. Like I kept my promises to them.

Clay- gone. With that evil little no-good rotten banana monster called Peril. Starlight- shot theough the eye. Had he survived? Was he okay?

The thing was, she hated worrying. She hated pressure. She hated everything. If Trouble, Pressure, Betrayal, and Luck were living beings, she would have turned into an octopus just to slap them twice.

And then she would have turned into herself again just to slap Greatness a hundred times.

Greatness. She hated her. She had taken everything away- her life, Deathbringer, her friends, her happiness, and Deathbringer.

She sighed. No use thinking about it. There was nothing she could do.

She stared at Tsunami and Sunny beside her. They were freezing in here. There was no sunlight. She would preferably sleep and never wake up, if she didn't have a strong urge to slap a lot of people. Like, a lot of people.

She tried to drag them close together. She had heard that body heat was an essential part of staying alive in this cold.

Her teeth chattered. So this was how she was going to die- in the darkness. Of hyperthermia. Awesome. Of course, everyone wanted to die in an old cage in the darkness.

Then she realized Kinkajou was nowhere to be seen. She didn't see Kinkajou anywhere, and felt a spark of fear- where was she?

Glory closed her eyes. Think, Glory, think.

She couldn't think.

Then the door opened, and a guard came in. Glory was blinded by the light for a few minutes, blinking furiously, when the guard started to drag her. She could hear her friends yelping. "Ahhhhh!" She tried to bite the guard, but she ended up biting nothingness, which just caused pain in her teeth.

"I thought she was supposed to be actually, like, pretty," the guard complained.

"Better than your mom," a different guard said.

"WHAT DID YOU SAY?" The guard growled, his fist clenched.

"Nothing, Your Highness," the other guard muttered. "Let's get them out of here."

"What's happening?" She croaked.

A third guard stood at the shadows. He was fairly short compared to the other guys. "Come on."

"Gladly," the biggest guard said, huffing. "Make sure you get this girl in line, Waters. Don't you all know I outrank you?"

"In haughtiness?" The guard laughed, and for a moment it seemed like a girl's voice.