Chapter Twenty-Three: Peril

"This won't hurt a bit. You'll see."

Mother. Where's Mother? She thought. Mother. Mother. Mother.

Remember Mother. Kestrel.

They brought up her hand and injected something into to her blood vessel. She was breathing through a breathing tube, her breaths coming out in short, panicked bursts.

Who are these people? She wondered.

...What are they doing to me?

Where's Mother?

Remember. Her warm smile. Her voice. Mother. Mother. Her red hair. Mother. Mother.

"...my Darling..."

"Her brain's...complicated," one of the doctors said.

...brain?

"It could be impossible," a woman said. She was covered in luxury- necklaces, bracelets, even a crown on her head- all in the color of red. Scarlet. "Didn't you say we failed ten times already, and all of them died?"

"Well..."

The voices begun to fade away...into murmurs...whispers...nothing...

"Where's my mom?" She asked. But she didn't hear anything come out from her mouth. Maybe it was all in her head.

"We know better this time," the doctor whispered. "Now we know that water won't work. It's the time to try fire."

Her eyes fluttered close. Fire?

It was all a dream.

At least that was what she thought.

The last thought she had before passing out was...

Who's Mother?

Do I know that person?

~

When she woke up, she had bandages all over her head.

"The surgery went perfectly," the woman said. Didn't Peril see her before? One of the doctors?

"What did you do to me?" She asked timidly. Suddenly, a fresh wave of pain bursted from her head, almost knocking the breath out of her. "It...It hurts."

"We're doing our best. You're getting the best painkillers, child," the doctor said emotionlessly. "And to answer your question, we inserted a chip in your brain. Now you can defend yourself to anyone when we switch it on. It's a very high technology."

Peril blinked. "How can I defend myself to anyone?"

"By using fire, of course," the doctor replied.

~

"What is he doing to my friends?" He said to her, gripping her wrist. "Tell me now."

But he has me. Isn't that enough? Maybe I'm never enough. "Why? You're safe now, isn't that all that matters?" Even to her, her voice seemed cold. Distant.

"No. Are my friends safe?"

"Yes," she said reluctantly. Lies and more lies.

But can't you just trust me?

"Take me to them. We left them with someone dangerous. Morrowseer," he insisted stubbornly. The door opened, and they came in.

The doctors with the white coats. To take him away and turn him into someone else entirely. To a person they could control, like her. To a totally different person.

To a monster.

"No." Her answer was short.

"Are you lying?" He said suspiciously. His panicked eyes met hers. "Who are they? Where are my taking me? Are my friends okay?"

Will be be the same person ever again?

Could they escape the maze they got themselves into?

She grabbed his arm and the needle, something to take him away.

Forever.

"Perhaps, but don't worry. This won't hurt a bit.

"You'll see."

~

That night, she felt something in her chest...that she had never experienced before.

Love.

Can monsters love, too?

~

Sorry for such a short chapter XP so for everyone that happens to like this book, I'm going to finish this one before all the others. At least that's how it's planning to go...

So...yay? :)

Tell me how you felt in the comments and votes!