He shoved through the crowd, ignoring the sidelong glances people gave him. Seriously, didn't any of them have more productive things to do besides standing in the way and glaring at anyone who wasn't equally keen on that? Union workers. He shook his head with a snort and rushed out the door onto the bustling city streets of Winchester. Nine minutes now. Good thing McGayen Inc was located on the city outskirts. If he ran, he could make it to the family estate, maybe even on time for once.

His mind wasn't really on the usual frustrations though. Viv had contacted him before work to ask if he could meet her to talk. He'd invited her to dinner with his mother. Supremacy knew she needed the company, and his mother adored Viv. Maybe his friend could cheer her up. That would be a miracle. But it also wasn't really the point. He wanted to have an excuse to go walking with Viv after dinner so she could explain the cryptic things she'd said over the holo's chat. He didn't have a good feeling about the tone in her voice messages, and he got the feeling something was very, very wrong. More wrong than his father running out on them, and more wrong than how controlling the government was over everything, though that wasn't something he could say aloud. It was more wrong, in fact, than his dysfunctional button that never did anything consistent.

He shook his head and continued his brisk walk. Well, even with the dark cloud of Vivian's messages hanging over his head, this day hadn't been so bad. Nothing had gone wrong yet, and he hadn't encountered any life-threatening situations. Actually, he hadn't encountered any of those for months now, and he hadn't had to use his button as a result. Which was good because using the button, even if it was meant to help most people, was as likely to get him killed as it was to help. Even though others looked at him strange when he refused to use his power or tell them what it was, he considered every day the button wasn't involved to be a good day. He smiled and began to whistle. His attention wandered over store fronts and alleyways as he walked. Maybe once he got out of the press, he'd cut through the back roads and through his mother's fields. He glanced down at his suit. Black. Should be fine. He might even ditch the infernal dress shoes pinching his toes.

The store fronts thinned out, and even the apartment buildings traded cramped quarters for more room and extravagance. That was the way of things around here. Get outside the northern limits and everything opened onto the old family estates or luxury apartments.

He continued to whistle as he walked along, hands in his pockets. Fewer people passed by him now, so when a young man bumped into him, he didn't just let it pass. He checked his pockets while the man—a buff guy with sleeves of tats and at least five rings in his left ear—apologized. The guy didn't sound the least bit sincere. He met the man's gaze with a strained smile. "No problem. Just pay better attention in the future."

Something sparked in the stranger's blue gaze. What had he said? Sebastian stepped back, a tingle shooting down his spine. That look didn't seem very friendly. He knew that look. People got it when they recognized someone they intended to harm. But he'd never seen the man before, so why would the guy want to hurt him?

"Sebastian Auclaire?"

He frowned. "I think you're confused."

"I've been looking for you."

Sebastian bolted back the way he'd come. Was this guy after him because of the questions he'd been asking Viv? Had someone overheard and tipped off the government? Wouldn't be the first time someone was taken out—publicly or otherwise—for treasonous conversation. Treasonous meaning anything that didn't completely agree with the government. He pushed himself harder and picked up the pace. But it wasn't fast enough. A hard body slammed into him, and they both went down in a tangle of limbs. His nose struck the edge of the sidewalk, and stars erupted on the edges of his vision. He wheezed, and the tang of iron spread over his lips. Every breath sent a blaze of pain down his side. At least one fractured rib. Firm hands wrapped around his shoulders and flipped him. He screamed in agony and hoped anyone would come to his rescue. No one did.