38 | map to treasure isle

The wind blew threw Celia's hair, tossing golden strands into her face. If she had known she'd be outside, she would have tied it back into a braid. Now pieces of her hair just stuck to her face as the tears continued to fall. Really, she didn't know how long she had been out there. The witches could have performed minutes or hours ago, she wouldn't know. She wondered if Hope and Landon had solved the slug issue?

Ugh. Celia wanted to punch something. She couldn't believe how selfish she was being. She dug herself into this whole and now she had to man up and dig herself out. But could she? She shook her head vigorously. That was a prospect she wouldn't accept.

Celia wiped the palm of her hand across her cheeks, brushing away the stray tears that had fallen. She couldn't believe that just a few days again she had been basking in her lack of tears. Now, she couldn't think of a day that had passed where she hadn't cried. This is what life really had come to.

"Oh thank God," Josie breathed behind her. Celia looked behind her as the witch made her way around one of the hedges. The relief was evident on her features, causing the guilt to pool once again in Celia's stomach. "I've been looking for you forever."

Celia bit her lip, averting her gaze. "I- um- I'm sorry." Her voice was raspier than she had expected it to be, catching her off guard. The sound caused her to bite her tongue. She didn't want the show weakness to anyone else, though, to be fair, she had shown weakness in front of so many people lately, what was the harm of one more?

Celia pushed the image of how she must have looked from her head. That was one thing she shouldn't be worrying about. Josie quickly took in Celia's frazzled and exhausted features, however, and sat down on the bench next to the werewolf.

"Uh," Josie started, seeming to sort through her thoughts, "when Hope found me she told me what happened. I'm so sorry, Celia."

Found. Celia was stuck on that word choice. She wondered if Josie had anything to do with the defeat of the worms.

"So they stopped the infestation?" Celia asked, her eyebrow slightly arched in interest. Her nose sniffled lightly as she breathed out. For a slight second, she closed her eyes in defeat.

To her question, however, an exasperated laugh escaped Josie's lips. "Not for a lack of effort on my part," she admitted, causing Celia's gaze to snap upward. Josie smiled shyly, "I went after the urn."

It felt like a knot in Celia's chest undid itself. She hadn't been the only one to go after the urn.

Right away, Celia didn't say anything and the two fell into a heavy silence. Celia wondered how the witch performance went or if they were going to do the spell. While that was on the top of Celia's to-do list, both girls had gone through hell that night and she didn't want to push Josie to do something she wasn't ready to do quite yet. Despite her pain, Celia knew she could wait one more day if it meant it wouldn't harm Josie's mental health. After all, Celia knew she had been selfish enough for one day.

Innocently, Josie wiped away a tear with her sleep that Celia hadn't even realized escaped. It was a motherly gesture that Celia greatly appreciated. Something else she appreciated about Josie was her kind features. Her dark eyes were never patronizing and her mouth was always set in a friendly smile or a concerned pout. Josie was the completely opposite of her sister, who shared more features with an ice queen.

Josie's head tilted to the side. Her gaze kept calm and steady, like always. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Again, Celia felt Josie chipping away at her armor. She's good at this, Celia thought. It made sense since she had to deal with Lizzie every day.