2| bet of a lifetime

Celia found herself in the library after that whole strange encounter.  She had a big astronomy test coming up that she meant to study for, but she couldn't get her mind off of what had happened.  Should she tell Jed she saw him?  But why would that matter? If was only a matter of time before he saw him too, the Salvatore School wasn't that big.  And besides, it wasn't like their interaction was substantial.  She had only seen him before leaving.

Jed himself slid into the seat across for her, snapping her from her thoughts. He looked excited, Celia had an idea why.

"How'd your meeting with Saltzman go?" Even though Dr. Saltzman wasn't the biggest advocate for the werewolves' exclusiveness, he recognized the hierarchy that they lived by; therefore, instead of pretending like it didn't exist, he almost embraced it, meeting with whoever was alpha whenever a new werewolf arrived.

"Good," his smile steadily remained in his face. "The kid's name is Rafael. They're still evaluating him, but things are looking good."

Rafael. So the mystery boy had a name. Celia wondered how he ended up here. How he triggered his curse? Was it someone he loved? Someone he hated? Did he have a family? A pack?

"Hey dreamer," Jed called out, waving his hand in her face. Once again he pulled Celia from her thoughts. "Did you hear anything I just said?"

No. "His name is Rafael." She admitted.

Jed rolled his eyes. "Start skipping out on me now, Cel, and I might have to replace you as my second in command."

Celia laughed, sometimes Jed did make her genuinely happy, something only a few people could do. "You couldn't function without me, don't lie."

"Don't get too confident, I may start to question your loyalty. Should I be worried about a challenge?"

"You know I could kick your ass anytime." She decided to tone it back a little. "But don't you ever question my loyalty, Jed. Now just repeat what you said."

He smiled, leaning back in his chair. "I said that he apparently brought a friend. A human friend."

Celia nodded. That was interesting. The whole point of the Salvatore School for the Young and Gifted was to give supernatural students a place safe from humans. They were supposed to be secret. Obviously to this human they weren't.

"I just need to find this kid now," Jed continued. "I'll grab a couple of the guys and he'll join us."

"You're going to scare him into submission?"

"That's usually how it goes, Cel."

Celia frowned. She did know that, but still, she wasn't the biggest fan of accepting it. "What if we tried a different tactic this time?" She asked.

Jed leaned back in his chair, intrigued. "Like what?"

"Let me talk to him. I'll get him to join no extra charge."

What happened next, really made Celia's blood boil. Jed simply tilted his head to the sides. His eyes glistened with delight. A small smile made its way onto his lips. He was amused.

"You don't think I can do it, do you?"

He shrugged like the answer was simple. "Well, you're not the most welcoming person, Cel. You never have been."

Celia's jaw hardened as her determination set in. "Three weeks."

"What?"

"Give me three weeks and I'll get him in the pack. And if he's not, then I'll finally go on that date you've been wanting."

Jed smiled and nodded. "Sounds like a deal."

And so the pair shook on it, and so started three if the craziest weeks of Celia's life.