Chapter 9

"If you, if you could get by, trying not to lie,
Things wouldn't be so confused and I wouldn't feel so used,
But you always really knew, I just wanna be with you"

Ponyboys POV

Johnny's in the hospital. Again.

And it's once again my fault.

I should've let him explain instead of being mad at him. I'm so stupid. I fucking pushed him. I hate myself for that. How is he supposed to forgive me now? How are we supposed to fix things?

I wish he was in my arms right now. Instead he's in a hospital bed and I'm not allowed to go visit him.

"I'm sorry Ponyboy but I can't just let you go see him. It's too late at night." Darry says for the millionth time. Fuck him and his strict rules.

He doesn't even know how much I'm in love with Johnny.

I don't care anymore. He can do whatever the hell he wants to me. I ain't hiding anymore.

"No! You have to let me go see him! I'm in love with him! You don't even understand what it's like to be in love!" He looked like he wanted to argue but Soda stepped between us. He hates when me and Darry argue.

"Look honey, you can go see Johnny in the morning. You have to listen to Darry. He's gonna be fine." I start crying. This is my fault. What do they not understand about that?

"It's my fault. I was mad at him...if I had just-" I was cut off by my own choked sobs.

"It isn't your fault, okay? When you see him first thing tomorrow, you can make things right." Soda said as he hugged me. Darry joined the hug, and the three of us stayed like that for a few seconds before Dally came in. He went to the hospital with Johnny.

"Calm down, kid. Johnny's gonna be okay and he'll probably get out tomorrow. Doc said he had a panic attack brought on by stress. It ain't his first one either so it wasn't your fault. I think there's something I outta tell you." I break away from the hug and looked at him.

"Well!? What is it?" At least he's okay. I have to apologize. I'm an asshole.

"Kid, Johnny's in love with you. He told me. He doesn't like Angela at all. He was gonna tell ya the truth when he found out you felt the same. I dunno why he kissed Angela. But he probably had a good reason. But man, he loves you more than anything. You gotta believe that."

He was in love with me? Dally wouldn't lie about that. He's like Johnny's older brother.

"Oh my god. I wish I just let him explain." I started crying again.

"He loves you. He's gonna forgive you, kid." Dally said. I hoped he was right.

The second I see him tomorrow, I'm gonna tell him how much I love him and how sorry I am. I just wanna be with him. We've been through enough.

"I'm tired." I really was. It had been a long night. Maybe in a few nights I'll fall asleep with Johnny in my arms. I love him.

"Come on kid, let's go to bed." I don't even remember going to my room after that.

...

I woke up, and looked at the clock. I was hoping it was morning so I could go and see Johnny but it was only 4am. I tried to go back to sleep but I couldn't with Johnny on my mind. I had to see him.

I decided to just get up. I heard voices talking in the living room so I didn't go in there. My nosy self decided to listen in.

"I just need to know if you feel the same way, man." I heard Dally say. What the hell was he talking about? And who was he talking too?

"Look Dal, I don't know." Darry?? What were they talking about? Feel the same way about what?

"Look, man. I've never said what I'm about to say before to anyone, but know I honestly mean it. I love you, Darry." What. The. Actual. Fuck. Dally? In love with Darry? Jesus Christ.

"Dallas..." It gets quiet. I peer my head around the corner and see them kissing. Oh my god. What the actual hell. It looks like neither one of my brothers is straight.

I did not expect Darry to like Dally of all people, and the other way around.

"Umm...what the actual hell is going on?" I finally speak up. They quickly break apart and look at me.

"Uhh...hi Pony." Darry awkwardly smiles. Dally just puts his hand behind his head.

"No use lying. I heard everything." Maybe not everything, but I'm pretty sure I know what's going on.

"Okay fine. I'm not gay, but I love Dally. I don't know what you call that." Darry said and Dally smirked.

"You love me?" Dally lazily put his arm around my oldest brother. Wow.

"Shut up. Yes. Ponyboy, you should go back to sleep. It's 4am." How come they can stay up?

"Oh my god. This is so weird seeing y'all together. I never would've expected it." I mean,
come on. I touch hood like Dallas Winston with my oldest brother, who was basically Superman? Never in a million years. So you know what they say, opposites attract.

"Yeah well, get used to it, kid." Dally smirked. Darry just shook his head and smiled. And it was a real one. It was rare to see Darry actually smile. He was defiantly happy.

"Dal, if you hurt him me and Soda will kick your ass." Dally half laughed/half scoffed. Darry rolled his eyes.

"Watch your mouth, kid. Now go to bed." I sighed. At least I can tell them about my problems with Johnny.

"I can't sleep. I can't stop thinking about Johnny. I'm a horrible person. I treated him like shi- crap. Why would he still want want to be with me?" I sit down on the couch. I want to cry again.

"Relax, kid. He loves you. Trust me, he's still wants you. You'll see tomorrow." Dally sat down on one side of me and Darry sat on the other. Hopefully they didn't make me sleep.

"I hope you're right." I say. I really hope he is. I gotta have Johnny. If I can't have him, then I don't see the point in anything.

I wasn't gonna get any sleep tonight. Not until I had him back. I have to get him back.

"But I'm in so deep. You know I'm such a fool for you.
You got me wrapped around your finger, ah, ha, ha.
Do you have to let it linger? Do you have to, do you have to,
Do you have to let it linger?"