When in Rome: Task 2 (Tyber Mitango) D1

Start from the beginning

**

I had a bag packed with enough food and water to last me for a while. I also snuck in some spare knives – couldn’t have Phae hogging them all – as well as an extra pair of night vision goggles. We snacked on some apples earlier and I was waiting to see some smoke. Five canons had signaled the end of the bloodbath. Five wasn’t enough. But then again, a larger Career alliance meant less kills anyways. If I had my way those District 4 tributes would be gone already and so would Fuse. I only kept Ula and Adam around to keep our numbers up – other than that, there was no other use for them. And Fuse was mental. She had already gone psycho when I touched her bum not long ago.
“Smoke!” Eden spoke his first words in the Games. He’d been giving us the silent treatment. I took a quick look. I spotted the smoke just beside the mini forest. It would be a ten minute jog maximum.
“Some have to stay here and some have to go and,” I began,
“I’m going with Tyber!” Phae jumped up and clutched my arm. I smile crept across my lips.
“So currently Phae and I are going. Anyone else?”
“Can’t we all go?” Valarie whined,
“No!” I snapped. These guys were true idiots. “Adam and Assly – or whatever your name is – you’re with us. Eden and Val – you two are in charge,” I ordered. I felt like it was day one in Career school all over again. I mainly wanted to take Adam because I needed him to know that I was the boss around here. And I had to make sure that I could trust him.
“It’s Assalyine,” Assa – her new nickname – said. I glared at her and she shrunk back.
“I’m going too,” Fuse stood up.
“You’re staying here!” I said and stormed off.
“Suck on that bitch!” I heard Phae tease Fuse. I grinned. Psychopaths. They all were. I moved to a jog once Phae, Adam and Assa had caught up. Assa took the lead.
“Stop checking her out,” Phae nudged me. I think she was jealous.
“She’s got a nice bum,” I shrugged innocently, “Way better than yours,” I added,
“But I’m way prettier,” she said,
“Sure, whatever you say babe,” I smirked. I moved up to a sprint. “Speed up! Or are you guys to chicken to get another kill?”
“Well if you stopped flirting we’d get there a lot quicker,” Adam grunted. I stopped in my tracks.
“What?” I snarled at him.
“Well…I think….” He stuttered.
“Well you know what?” I said, “I don’t give a shit because I’m the boss around here. Not you! And at least I like girls, don’t think I’ve noticed how you look at Eden,” I added cheekily. It was irrelevant to add but I knew he was gay and I had to keep up my bad boy act by being mean and cocky. I sprinted off again and followed the smell of smoke.
“He’s so good how he knows where we’re going,” I hear Phae talk to Assa,
“It’s pretty obvious,” Assa sighed. She was probably bored of being stuck with that dumb girl – that fake ­dumb girl.
“What’s obvious mean?”
I stifled a laugh. I stopped as I spotted the fire. I could smell the rabbit cooking. Everyone got the hint that someone was there. Just as well I bought Assa. This was her District partner. He was leaning against a stone wall that was half fallen down. He had a small axe beside him. It’s a wonder why he actually volunteered, such a waste. I heard her gasp as she came up behind me.
“Want to kill him?” I asked, an evil grin was on my face.
“No!” she said loudly. Jax – the boy – became alert. I raised an eyebrow.
“Are you a Career or not?” I whispered,
She nodded in reply.
“Then kill him,”
“I’ll do it!” Phae said eagerly in a quiet voice. I glared at her and she directed her gaze downwards.
“I can’t,” she whispered, it was barely audible. A tear fell down her cheek. I acted like I cared.
“Assa, it’s alright. We’ll leave him,” I kissed the tear on a cheek, “We’ll leave him with the Capitol,” I added, throwing my knife directly into his heart. Assa screamed in unison with the canon.
“Go get that, will you?” I said to Phae. She nodded and without making a sound went to Jax’s dead body.
“Let’s get out of here,” I said. Adam’s face was frozen in a shocked expression, Assa was still sobbing and Phae walked beside me like there wasn’t a better place in the world.
“It’s pretty scary when it’s dark,” I said quietly to her, it was getting late and the moon was already above the ruins, “Better hold my hand,”
“Lucky I have you then,” she smiles seductively. I noticed how she still didn’t come any closer to me, she just held my hand.  I shrugged mentally. Girls were weird.
“We better hurry up,” I said. My mentor had warned me a lot about the mutations that the Gamemakers throw in here. I thought it would be interesting to create a mutt, but to do that I would need money and to get money – I’d need to win the Games. That was probably a good thing about me volunteering. I only volunteered because I saw Phae’s act on stage. She volunteered and wasn’t acting like she normally did – she was really quite intelligent and vicious. I volunteered to see how she would play out, which – in hindsight – was really stupid. But I didn’t want to be disowned by my family either. In fact, if they found out I was really smart and not a total ‘bad boy’, they would hate me too. I remember when Dione didn’t volunteer, I was disgusted. But now I know why he didn’t. Six careers go in and there is still only a 25% chance that one of us would win. Contending with five other Careers isn’t exactly something I’d like to do, but it’s necessary. Plus Eden seems like a good puppet, and as long as Phae thinks that I’m in love with her – it should be smooth sailing.
“Who’d you kill? Tell me, tell me!” Valarie jumped up from her position around the fire,
“Actually my shoe killed him….” Phae twirled her hair around her finger and plonked herself next to Eden. I think my eye may have twitched a little.
“He killed Jax,” Assa growled, “You son of a…” she shoved me to the ground. It made me look weak. I rolled around until she was underneath me. I straddled her and pinned her arms and legs down.
“Look, bitch,” I started, “You’re only alive because of us. If you wanted to go and play with your boyfriend you should have teamed up with him. So act like a Career or I’ll kill you myself, savvy?”
“Get off me, pervert!” she spat. I shoved her away.
“You know, if you want to get rid of her quickly,” Phae whispered in my ear, so close I could feel her lips, “I have a plan,”
“I’ll keep that in mind, beautiful,” I whispered back. I took a place near the fire next to Eden. So maybe days in here will be unpredictable. All I have to do is let these guys play the Game and maybe if I’m lucky, I can just sit back and watch.