Misfortune: Task 4 (Aaron Cooper) D10

** Task - Dead Man Floating **

I opened my eyes and sat up slowly. My entire body ached so badly. I saw Tessa, crawling towards me.

"Tessa!" I burst into a coughing fit after that. I needed some water, I'll get that later.
"The blood," she pointed to my chest. The mutt's blood was still there from when I stabbed it.
"Nothing, just some mutt blood." I explained, "I think Zane has a few bandages that will help us. Let's go back," her arm was still oozing blood, like that boy's face..... I stood up and held onto a tree for a moment to get my balance. I helped Tessa up and led her back to our clearing.
"What happened?" she asked.
"You went mad, that's what,"
"Aaron!" she whined, she can sure be annoying.
"Nothing important. Just that there are 8 of us left, including the 4 of us. That's all you need to know," I snapped. That should keep her quiet for a while. I was following the blood of the boy from 2 back. It was like a breadcrumb trail. If I had just been myself, I would already have my knife, gouging out her eyes..... 
"Who died?" she asked quietly. Barely two minutes of silence. I groaned to myself.
"I killed the boy from 2 and I think Niles got the girl from 3. She was with the careers. I don't know who killed the girl who I saved you from in the bloodbath,"
She mumbles something then added louder, "Is there such thing as Hell?" she asked,
"Probably, why?"
"I think I'm going to Hell then," she sighed,
"Well, I'll see you down there," I smiled to myself. I mentally slapped myself. No smiling. Just be you, no one can know that you care about this little girl. We entered the clearing. Zane was washing his face with snow, he has an obsession with being clean and Niles sat on the snow, wrapping his leg in a bandage,
"Give us some bandages," I said, going through his pack. He muttered something, I resisted the urge to punch him - again. I got out two and a water bottle from my own bag. I washed Tessa's arm, she bit her lip, I think she just wanted to be brave. I quickly wrapped it up in the bandage and started on my own arm. Using a bit of snow and water to wash all the cuts on my arms and legs. I don't know why she thought it hurt, it was like a good tingling sensation. I bandaged my arm up roughly then started squeezing blood out of my arm and writing in the snow. The blood came out in little dots. Like eyeballs popping out of people's heads..
"Guys," Tessa said, I looked up, "Where's Zane?"
Niles cursed, "Let's go looking for him. No canons yet," he got up quickly and started packing. I did the same. "Quick!" I started on searching for tracks. I was looking for blood because I knew he would have been dripping with stained water. We found them in a few seconds and began following them. Niles took the lead and I took the back. It looked like we both wanted to protect Tessa, though I don't know why he would. I took my knife out and twirled it in my hand, my second heart beat was throbbing in my head. I heard grumbling, Tessa and Niles.
"...We will go together!" Tessa said forcefully. Niles looked surprised. He went into the cave first. Tessa grabbed his hand, a wave of jealously - for some reason - over came me, but then she grabbed my hand with the other. I was kind of glad Tessa had me. I couldn't see a thing in here. I put my knife away, so I wouldn't 'accidentally' stab someone. Maybe Niles if he did something stupid.
"Ouch!" it was Tessa. Her voice echoed.
"Tessa. You alright?" I whispered in her ear, well, where I thought her ear was.
"Uh huh," she mumbled. I heard her sniffle but decided to let it go. She's only 13. We kept walking until we came out into a cavern. Candles covered the walls and hung from the roof. Weapons were on the far back wall. And in the center - a grand coffin with the initials W.I. were engraved with gold. Tessa let go of my hand and went to the weapon wall, she grabbed a small sack and a slingshot. She obviously knew how to use it - she was in awe of the weapon, if you could call it that. I noticed the huge axe, Niles went for that. There were a few knives but I already had my precious butcher knife. I only just noticed Zane, wiping the coffin frantically with his shirt.
"Zane?" I called, he jumped and hit his head, "What are you doing here?" I thought that he was concussed for a moment but he continued to clean it.
"I thought I heard a voice and then everything was so dirty in here, I had to tidy up," he didn't turn to speak, just kept on cleaning. He was obsessed for some stupid reason. Suddenly, some candles blew out in a small gust of cold wind. It left us in an eerie glow. Tessa ran and hid behind me. I got my knife out.
"Maybe we should get out of here," Tessa whimpered. A huge booming laugh made us all jump in fright. Tessa screamed but I covered her mouth quickly. I saw Zane drop to the ground, definitely concussion.
"Hello tributes!" a zombie looking thing appeared on top of the coffin. You could just tell it was the fetid stench of evil. I only caught Tessa just in time. It stunk her out, but she opened her eyes. "I am Whytt Inchcape. Past tribute, victor and gamemaker. I thank you for awakening me." Tessa cowered behind me more. What would it be like inside of the zombie? I wished I could cut him and see but Tessa seemed content behind me.
"Don't be so scared!" he said loudly, he was giving me a headache already "I am here to help, you see. I'm going to kill your Gamemaker." And you wonder why the Capitol killed you you crazed carcass. Zane screamed, he must have recovered quickly, he ran out of the cavern, the way to outside.
"Kill!" the dead mean shouted and chased after him, he almost floated. Niles and I both swore in unison. I grabbed Tessa's hand and ran after Niles. I ran into rocks a few times, but they would only bruise. I don't like Zane very much but I don't want him to die - not yet. I squinted as we came into the light. I saw Zane, curled up into a ball, rocking back and forth. He had slashes - like claw marks - on his legs. It was like an ocean of red beneath him. I loved how blood stained everything. I swear I saw a smiley face cut into his leg but it went away. I shook my head and shrugged mentally. The light in here can play tricks sometimes. Niles bandaged Zane up, after washing the cuts. Suddenly an arrow flew and hit the ground right beside Zane. Niles pulled Zane behind the rock - cover from the direction the arrow came from - so I shoved Tessa behind with them. I turned to run but something held me back. Tessa.
Don't go!" she pleaded. Her eyes bore into mine. I sighed, trying to think of a logical reason to tell her that wouldn't give her nightmares.
"I won't be too long," I shrugged, "Besides all the Careers are dead so I'll be fine," I broke from her grip and jumped up from the rock. Another arrow flew at me but this person obviously was a terrible shot, two misses in a row is pretty bad. I somersaulted down into the cover of a tree and got my knife ready. I snuck up behind the boy. He was about Zane's age. Shivering from the cold. I stabbed the knife into his left shoulder blade. He screamed, arching back. It just made the stab worse. I grinned, stabbing the right one. He screamed even louder.
"Keep on screaming kid. It's like music to my ears," I was still grinning. I slashed the knife across to connect the two cuts. I flipped him over and stabbed several time into his heart then broke his neck. I heard the bone snap and the canon at the same time. Another kill for Aaron Cooper. 
"Next time you want to kill someone, make sure it's not an alliance. Hunger Games 101," I talked to the body. I wiped my knife on the body to get the blood off, I didn't want a stain on my knife. I started walking back, I quickly stopped though and grabbed the bow and some arrows off the boy. I needed them. I jogged back and jumped down, the snow sprayed around me. I saw everyone jump in fright. I threw the bow and arrows at Zane's feet.
"Zane, Merry Christmas. Now you don't look like a morphine addict, just a little boy with a weapon," He was starting to look like one of them past victors on them things that the Capitol showed us. Now he could have a weapon and not swirl blood on his face.
"Don't be mean Aaron," Tessa glared at me. I glared back,
"I can do what I want Tess," I called her Tess, why? "Now let's get as far away from here as possible before that zombie comes for us," I stormed away. I should have just done the Games by myself, would have been so much easier. I still couldn't figure out why I called her Tess, I normally call her Tessa. I heard footsteps running up behind me.
"Aaron, can you please stop," she said quietly, "We all have to be nice. Please just be nice for a day. I mean, we both know what's going to happen. One of us will make it out, and I want it to be me or you. So just be nice so we can see what's going to happen," she went down to a whisper. Who knew she was a strategist. She was very smart, I underestimated her - a lot. We could put on a facade as long as we wanted but Tess and I knew what was going to happen. I would rather one of us get out, preferably Tessa. That way I could be a martyr and people would think of me as a saviour because I helped a kid win.
"Okay. But don't tell them this. I didn't know you were so smart Tess," I ruffled her hair. It was already tangled so I hope she wouldn't mind. And I called he Tess again. She smiled as me and hugged me. I hugged her back. I told her to run to get Niles and Zane and they followed us. Tess grabbed onto my hand and we led the way. We had to walk slowly which annoyed me, I remember dragging Zane at the beginning of the Games. I saw a glimpse of the walking corpse but didn't tell them. He was setting up something, I don't know exactly what. A spark shot up into the sky and burst into sparkles. Crazy old skeleton. I tugged Tessa along. We were going to get away from this dude, I didn't know about anyone else but I planned on staying here until dead man was gone. That way, I could get Tess back safely. All I had to do was figure out how.