Chapter 16. Dancing

Start from the beginning

"I just have a feeling that it's going to be something not so enjoyable," Remus sighed and put his test exam inside his school bag.

I just grinned. "Well at least it won't be dancing, so you should be good."

**

My guilty eyes stared at Remus, who was sitting in the corner, on the other end of the class room. He looked like he wanted to disappear into the corner and never return ever again.

The tension inside the room was rather awkward, as all the girls were placed on the opposite side of the boys. McGonagall was standing in the middle of the room, a very old looking record player right next to her, as she has a pleased smile on her face.

"Alright students, I'm pleased to see that you all made your way here," she began pressing her hands together, as she looked at all the students from all the different houses. "We all know, good manners lead you quite far in life, and with good manners there are a lot of different skills you can learn to be rather good at. One of those skills is of course; dancing," she continued, making the whole boy side let out groans of disbelief. "Now, now. It is a fine skill for each of you to learn, especially since next year you will be old enough to attend formal gatherings, where there will definitely be some dancing!"

The boys quieted down and waited for her to continue. "Well then, for now all you need is to pick a partner and we can start, please stand up," she ordered, making every student in the room stand up from their seats, girls quicker than the boys of course.

And as the tension was still somewhat awkward, it gave me perfect time to notice something. But as I was too busy counting how many boys there actually were, all my friends were already occupied with partners, even before I was able to say or do anything. Even Peter was surprised by a girl asking him to be her partner, for he was rather good at dancing.

Remus was paired up with Alice, James had caught Lily before she was able to escape and as Sirius seemed to have tried to walk up to me, he was stopped by Marlene, which was ever-so-convenient for me. I sighed and turned to see if anyone else was not having a partner and was also surprised to see Severus being asked as a partner, just when I had turned around. I just sighed and looked at McGonagall.

"There aren't enough boys, what do the rest of us do that don't have a partner?" I questioned, looking at the few other lonely girls, making my stomach twist in a certain way.

"Oh yes," McGonagall said and gathered us lonely girls together. "Since there aren't enough boys, I asked a few other students to help," she said and walked towards the class room door, immediately making my stomach want to leap out of its place.

I prayed in Merlin's name to not let it be who I thought it was going to be. But I was granted a great disappointment, when a familiar smug grin met my annoyed eyes. And in walked none other than Regulus, with few of his Slytherin friends.

"Thomas you can go with Danielle and Jacob can go with Anastasia," McGonagall suggested and then looked at Regulus. "Regulus you can pair up with Aurora," she ordered, making me want to disappear into the floor beneath me.

Why is my life like this?

McGonagall the put the music on and waltz music soon filled the room. "Now follow my lead! Take your partner into a good hold and girls go back with their right foot first, while boys step onwards with their left foot first. And follow the rhythm! We will change partners with each spin! Now come along and focus!"

And with that everyone got a hold on their partners and focused on not stepping on each others toes while attempting to do what McGonagall had just ordered them to do.