The man stood first, leveling his blade. Fury overwhelmed Val, wracking his body in waves of confused sympathy. It was all encompassing, white-hot behind his eyes. He screamed, she screamed as she leapt forward spinning in a vicious attack aimed at the heart of her foe. She would overpower his guard and pin him to...

The fury was gone as she realized what she had done. His blade lay at his feet, the blue light dead and forgotten. His arms hung limply at his side, offering no defense. She recoiled as the realization washed through her. No no no no their mind repeated. I didn't mean it, they thought. She withdrew the blade, deactivating it, pouring her power into him, but he would not let her. Too much she thought, though it was not her own, Too late the voice said. She was beyond tears, beyond rationality and all awareness. The moment lingered as she tried vainly to repair what she had done.

Val awoke with a start, his heart racing, his mind in a panic. He wiped sweat from his face and tears from his eyes. The saber remained where he had placed it. It took a long time for him to dare touching it, fearing to see the horrific scene repeated. Eventually he ventured to do so, happy that the vision did not return.

He lingered there until his heart slowed and calmed. Finally he stood, putting himself together for the walk back to his room. Something stirred behind him, crashing down from above. Zeya's bare feet crashed into his shoulder, sending him reeling down the path. He only barely managed to stay standing. His sister landed gracefully, her diminutive frame flashing toward him in a hail of kicks and punches. He laughed as she tried in vain to inflict her frustration on him.

"It's not fair!" she yelled repeatedly as she wailed on him viciously. She attempted a few strikes at his face but her arms fell short of their target. His fit of laughter was making it difficult to restrain her, though ineffectual, she was quick.

"A stupid necklace!" she screamed. Val had hardly contained his laughter when Jae had greeted her with the gift. It was a small jeweled lace of great value, but Jae Siddall did not know Zeya. The girl had stared daggers at her brothers, green with envy.

Val tried to speak between gasps of laughter, "If you... stop... I'll let you... hold it!" he wheezed. The deluge of blows ceased an instant later. "Give me!" she yelled, flailing her arms in front of him. He extended her arm, pushing her back a step. "Promise me you will be careful." he said seriously.

"OfcourseI'llbecarefulnowgiveithere!" she squealed. Val held the weapon out slowly, pointing with his free hand toward the emitter, "The blade will extend from here when you activate it, point it away from me and hold it firmly." he stated with growing seriousness. She calmed a bit, though she still radiated excitement and glee. She took hold of the saber slowly, then turned away from him. A moment later, with some effort, she activated the weapon. Red light flashed into being ahead of her, eliciting an enraptured, "Wooooooah" from the girl.

Val couldn't help but smirk, "Give it a few swings, slowly and carefully." he said. She did so with great care, deliberately tracing a path ahead of her. She took a few steps, swinging as she did so. Val's smile only grew wider, he had a soft spot for his younger sister.

"Ben chased me out of the training room when I asked him." Zeya said. Val figured that would be his reaction. For all of his merits, Ben had little patience for their sister. Actually, Val thought, Ben just doesn't have patience. Zeya laughed as she began the beginner forms that Korta had begun teaching her only weeks before. Val noted that she was far more advanced than he had been at her age. She twisted once, aiming at a fallen branch and slicing it in two with a swing, it came apart neatly and glowed with rapidly dissipating heat where the blade had touched.

Zeya turned and smiled at her brother, then deactivated the weapon. A devious look came over her face, then disappeared as Val frowned down at her. The brat had momentarily thought of stealing the weapon and hiding it for herself. "I hate it when you do that." She said glumly, then held the saber out to him. He took it gingerly, then placed it on his belt. "Do what?" he said mockingly. This response was met with an immediate punch to the hip that he oversold as excruciating.