Invictus, they had called it. Undefeatable. Unconquerable.

What kind of monster were they going to turn her into?

She felt hot tears begin to make their way down her face and Allura's gentle hands brushing them away as fast as they came. She was pulled into something warm and soft — and it took her a moment before she realized that Allura was hugging her in an attempt to calm her down.

And it worked. Soon enough, Sage was able to stop her tears from flowing, her breathing slower despite being a bit shaky.

"I'm so sorry," Allura whispered.

"'S not your fault," Sage muttered in response. Allura gave a quiet hum, moving away slightly to give Sage her space.

"You should rest," Allura said. "I understand that you're worried, but you've been up almost forty-eight of your earth hours with only naps. Whatever comes, it would be better to face it well-rested."

"I don't know if I'll be able to sleep," Sage admitted quietly.

"Try," Allura said. With a hesitant nod, Sage folded her arms as a pillow and curled up on the cold metal floor.

There were hesitant hands in her hair a moment after she shut her eyes, nimble fingers running through her tangled frizz. Sage peered up at Allura.

"W-What are you doing?" The older girl pulled back immediately.

"My mother used to do that to calm me when I was younger. Should I stop?"

"No, of course not," Sage muttered. "It's... nice. I like it." A few seconds later, Allura was running her fingers through Sage's hair again.

"You know," she began after a minute, "I always wanted a younger sister. Back on Altea, it seemed as if everyone had siblings. That is, except for me. I remember asking my parents to adopt a little girl once." Allura gave a quiet laugh at her own words. "It seems like that was a whole lifetime ago."

Allura continued to recount her days back on her home planet, recalling the times she spent with family and friends.

Before either girl knew it, Allura's quiet voice and gentle hands had lulled Sage to sleep.

Pounding at the metal cell door was what jolted the girls out of sleep. Sage's breathing immediately started racing, remembering what was in store for her. Allura immediately stepped in between her and the door, taking Sage's face in her hands and whispering to her.

"Sage, it will be all right," she muttered. "It's going to be okay. They're coming. I can feel the Lions. They're coming to save us." Sage shook despite Allura's calming tone.

No matter how quickly the team got to them, it could be too late for her.

She let out a scream as her hand was pulled from Allura's.

Unceremoniously, Sage was dragged into yet another winding highway, this time with only the witch by her side. Sage tried to calm her erratic heartbeat with measured breaths, but nothing seemed to help the fear that now ate away at her insides more than ever.

Once in a blank, violet room, Sage was shoved down onto a cold table and restrained. She couldn't resist much; the previous battle had taken its toll on her and all the adrenaline that had kept her going had long faded.

"Ready the fluid," the witch ordered. "Immobilize, but don't knock her out. I want her to feel every second of this." Sage felt a prick in her thigh before suddenly feeling paralyzed.

What are they doing to me?

All she could do was blink up at the lights above her, terrified of what was to come.