Part 18 - I have my Bucky back

The man that stared back at me, wasn't me. The man that stared back at me was the Winter Soldier – the man I never wanted to see again.

If I tied my hair back I could see the ghost of the man I used to be, laughing with Steve, getting too drunk to stand and Steve having to carry me home, pulling Steve out of alleyways after getting into yet another fight he wouldn't win. The scissors on the side of the sink were almost beckoning to me.

Strands of hair floated through the air, gracefully falling around my feet.

I looked up almost twenty minutes later, made a few adjustments, then saw the shadow of the person I once was. I still looked wrong, dark circles under my eyes, stubble scattered across my jawline, but I felt more me than I had in almost fifty years. Then a thought washed over me that broke my – almost – perfect bubble. What would Steve say?

An unwelcome tear flowed down my cheek and my legs gave way. I'd cut my hair for me, not giving him a second thought. Would he still love me if I looked different?

The door of the apartment opened and closed, a sound followed by Steve's heavy footfall as he crossed the living room, probably still in his uniform.

I dried my eyes, stood up, and looked in the mirror; red rings surrounded my eyes, but I looked more like me then I had in a long time.

"Bucky?" He called. I stumped downstairs, head down, hood up. "Hey, how are you do- What happened?" He asked, turning around to face me.

I looked up and put my hood down and felt tears prick at my eyes again. "I'm sorry," I muttered. Steve placed his shield down, pity = but slight joy – in his eyes, and came over to me, slowly. He cupped my cheeks and ran a thumb under my eye, wiping away a tear that had formed.

"Don't apologise." He said quietly. "I have my Bucky back." 

A/N: Sorry this is so short! Hopefully, this will just be a shortie to put you guys on until I can update properly

Elliott