Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Seeing the legal papers for Kyle was weird since he wasn't someone that existed only a few days ago. It was more shocking seeing that his full name was Kyle Alves-Matthews. Caleb may have been my boyfriend, but we didn't exactly tie the knot before he became a child again. Though, I felt a bit of relief that I didn't marry him since he did turn into a child. Child marriage or anything similar to that was something I did not want to touch at all. I had wished that when I did have a child, he would be there to help me, and we could've been a family. But Caleb wasn't here anymore.

All those fantasies of being a happy family were gone.

That night, I laid in bed and noticed that it was colder than usual. My arm reached out next to me hoping that I would feel some semblance of warmth only to be greeted with more empty space. I pulled my blankets up to my chin reluctantly to try warming myself up. I stared at the ceiling lost in thought, unable to get the events of the past day out of my mind. I missed him so much.

Caleb wasn't the happiest person alive, far from it. But when he did smile, I couldn't help and take a pause to fully enjoy the moment. On the rare occasion he did laugh, his eyes lit up like the stars and his skin was like the night sky. He was my universe but now I'm as lost as space junk.

A muffled whimper escaped my lips and I could feel my head throbbing as I held back tears. I didn't want Kyle to hear me cry especially since the walls were so thin.

I remembered the last time I saw Caleb. It was a sunny that morning. Nothing seemed to be particularly off aside from Caleb using a sheet of paper to fan himself. My grogginess had faded slightly when I saw him, and I could feel a smile slowly stretch on my face.

"Aren't you up early?" I remarked to him. My arms slowly made my way around his waist and I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Actually, I stayed up late. I was painting this the whole night." His voice came out as a rasp and I noticed the pile of empty cans of energy drinks next to him. Caleb stood from his seat, causing the cans to fall and roll away.

"Caleb!" I retracted my hug and he gave a playful pout. "You promised me you would sleep when we were cuddling last night! I even made sure to hold onto you extra tight so you wouldn't escape."

"I couldn't help it! Inspiration struck. It was like something took control of me. Anyways you always let go when you fall asleep." He dramatically put the back of his hand to his forehead and I sighed, trying to hold back a smile.

"What was it this time?" I asked.

"Well," he said. "I painted something that I truly loved."

I could feel my heart race when my eyes landed on the artwork laid on the table. It was a portrait of my laughing face but instead of canvas or even paper, it was painted on a jigsaw puzzle.

"No canvas?"

"I thought this would be nicer," he said. "Especially on days that I get frustrated with you, I can do this."

He took the puzzle and disassembled it violently. The beautifully painted image broke and scattered onto the table. A few stray pieces fell to the floor which made me widen my eyes in panic.

"Hey! That's my face!" I gasped.

He took handfuls of the puzzle and stashed them in his pockets. "If you're going to be like that, I'll hide my art and you'll have to find it."

"What? Why?" I reached for a puzzle piece and he pulled it away from my reach.

"It'll be like a scavenger hunt. I know you'll be able to find every piece."

"What do I get out of this?" I took a step forward while playfully taunting him.

He took my hands in his. His thumb gently rubbed the back of my hand before he lifted my hands to meet his lips. "I'll take you out to that diner you like so much. It'll be my treat."

"Sounds like a deal."

I had remembered that there were more words exchanged before he left that morning. My mind didn't let me relive the last moments I saw him. I didn't want to remember him leaving me. I just wish I had one more day with him. If I had known he was going to leave me forever at that moment, I would've said a better goodbye. Made sure he felt loved. Maybe hugged him tighter than usual so he wouldn't leave me.

The bed felt even emptier than it had before, and it was more uncomfortable than I had remembered it.

I felt a sharp pain beneath my back. It felt like a small object and I could definitely tell it was something with an edge. I shifted around and grabbed for the object. I pulled it out before holding it up, trying to identify what I was laying on.

It was another puzzle piece.

I sighed and sat up in my bed before shoving it into my nightstand with the second puzzle piece. It didn't matter at this point anymore. The deal was meaningless if he's not here.

My mind drifted to Kyle. Thinking about it, Caleb wasn't really gone. He was in the room next to mine. He was just a child again. Who even said he would stay in child form forever? Maybe... just maybe he'll come back.

I shook my head to myself. This might be permanent. It was best not to get any hopes up.

But he did have that puzzle piece and the same scar.

I felt my body sink into the bed further and my eyelids closed despite the tears that escaped from them.

That was enough thinking for tonight. Tomorrow was another day.