#11 - The Unexpected Play

Start from the beginning

"Look at these young men! Aren't they absolutely dashing?" the commentator boomed. "Let's give a little somethin' to the spectators in the stands!"

The football team came to a halt, waving and blowing hilarious kisses to the crowd. Percy even executed a mocking bow and formed a heart-shape with his arms over his head. Again, he caught her eye and pulled a silly face.

Cheesy, she wanted to shout, but she was too busy laughing.

When the referee blew the whistle, Annabeth had never felt so pumped with adrenaline before. The first game of the season was always an essential one, and seeing that the school team had missed out on the trophy by only a couple of points the last few years, she hoped that they'd be able to snag it this time.

The moments of the team whispering in low tones to each other and shuffling into position ceased as Clarisse snapped the ball back to Percy.

Annabeth would never not reel from shock as the players erupted into a violent head-on shoving contest. Her eyes followed Travis as he raced further up the field, leaping into the air and making an almost-impossible catch from Percy as he took off in a sprint.

Travis was as fast as he was skinny, so Annabeth could see why he was on the team. He got their 1st down, gaining just over ten yards, before one of the players from the other team tackled him.

The players rewound into their initial position as the next play started.

"Hike," she vaguely heard Percy yell. Beckendorf and Matt Sloan held off the defensive line as Percy scanned the field for anyone open. Frank was eventually passed the ball and rampaged through the defensive line, sending players to the ground as he took off running down the middle.

Annabeth hissed as another player tackled him before he could reach the ten-yard line, ending the first play. In the corner of her eye, Annabeth spotted Hazel's worried gaze as Frank spent a few more seconds on the ground, his chest heaving.

Percy jogged over, leaning down to exchange a few words, before he reached out a hand and yanked Frank to his feet.

Annabeth spotted Jason back in his starting position as the tight end nodding stiffly as the two of them as they returned.

+++++

Percy practically collapsed the moment the referee called half-time. Stumbling over to the side, he slumped onto the bench, panting as he tried to catch his breath.

"Cupcakes!" came Coach Hedge's piercing shout. "You were good out there, but not quite good enough! Stoll Jr.! What the hell was that..."

The bench creaked as Frank slid into the spot beside him.

"We're only down by five," Frank said helpfully.

Percy groaned. "Yeah, but we have been for the entire second quarter." It wasn't that they were bad players, but the other team was both massive and extremely good. He shook his head. "I fumbled the ball back there. Didn't get it to Grace in time."

Frank shrugged. "Look, it's fine. There's a ton of people in the stands, and you got the next play anyway. Can't expect to always be perfect at it, Percy." He lowered his voice. "Besides, I let their receiver get past me too. I'm too distracted," he said frustratedly.

Percy's gaze flickered to the stands, where Hazel was sitting with Piper, Annabeth and Leo.

"I know, I know," Frank grumbled. "I don't have any reason to be jealous. Hazel isn't anything like that, and Valdez keeps his distance, but my mind keeps wandering."