Chapter Three - Baby Browns

[NEWLY EDITED 📝]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3rd Person POV

"Daniel!" Lucille LaRusso called for her son as she finished fixing a breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast. "Dan—!"

"Hey, Ma," Daniel said behind the opened refrigerator door before his mother yelled his name a second time.

"How was the party?"

"It was okay," he replied in a monotone voice.

"It must've been more than 'okay'." Lucille slapped her son on the back, then set two plates on the table. "I didn't even hear you come home. Any friend material?"

Daniel closed the refrigerator, placed a carton of orange juice down on the table, and grabbed a piece of toast while heading for the door.

"Yeah, some. A couple of guys. I gotta go."

"Sit down and eat first," insisted Lucille as she pointed at his plate. "What about girl material? Did you have any of that?"

"No, I'm not hungry," protested Daniel in between bites of toast. "And there was a girl."

"Oh, my little Danny is already attracting the ladies," Lucille said excitedly. "Anyways, come on, honey. You need energy to be charming."

"I'm fine." Daniel picked up his backpack. "I've got energy."

She wasn't fooled, though. Her son had been acting strange the second he came into the kitchen. The oversized aviators that covered his eyes gave Lucille a feeling of suspicion.

"Daniel, do me a favor."

"What?"

"Take off the glasses." Lucille pointed to Daniel's sunglasses.

"Why?" he asked hesitantly, knowing that he would be in trouble if he were to remove them.

"Because I asked you to."

"Come on, Ma," he tried, and opened the door. "It's California. It's the look."

"Take them off. I want to see your baby browns."

Daniel sighed, "Ma, come on with the baby browns."

Lucille frowned. "Are you on something?"

"Yeah, I'm on Minute Maid," responded Daniel sarcastically.

"Why are you hiding your eyes?"

"I'm not hiding my eyes, Ma!"

"Take off the glasses," demanded Lucille as Daniel continued blabbering. "Now!"

Slowly, Daniel bit his lip and removed the sunglasses to reveal his swollen, purple, and bruised eye. His mother's face was a mixture of shock and anger.

"Oh my God." She shot up from her chair and quickly came over to her son. "How did that happen? What happened?"

Daniel wanted to tell her something she could believe. She had enough worries of her own and he didn't want her to have to worry about him, too.