Chapter Eighteen - The Invite

[UNEDITED]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your POV

School had let out for day, and I, along with all of the other students, rushed out of the building's doors, eager to go home. Daniel, unfortunately, wouldn't be riding back to South Seas with me today; he had to stay after school to serve a detention for having recieved three tardies in a row.

I approached the bike rack to retrieve my bicycle and just as I was about to mount it, I heard someone call out my name. On alert, I turned my head to where the voice had come from, and noticed a figure jogging up to me from the soccer field, where the soccer team had already started their practice.

"Y/N!" the voice called out again, and now I could tell that it belonged to a female. Her figure came into better view, and I saw that she was wearing a gray hoodie with long white sleeves, purple shorts, and athletic socks and shoes. I could finally tell who this person was, and by just seeing her I was immediately filled with fury. So, I decided to go ahead and mount my bike, not even caring to listen to a word she had to say.

As I was about to ride away, she stopped near me, out of breath, and held her hands out in front of her, signaling me to stop moving. "Y/N, wait!" she urged, holding out one of her hands in front of her and using her other hand to wipe a sweaty strand of blond hair out of her face.

"What do you want, Ali?" I snapped, turning to look at her with a frown.

Noticing my angry expression, she tried to speak to me calmly, "Listen, Y/N. I know how you feel about me, and I hate that our friendship has come to this, but—"

"'Friendship?' Really?" I interrupted, almost laughing at how Ali labeled our relationship like that. "Ali, our friendship has been over for a long time. You stole Johnny from me, and—" I scoffed, and continued to say exasperatedly, "you even tried to steal Daniel from me. What kind of friend does that? So, don't even try to label our relationship as a friendship because it's far from that. I know you don't care about me that much—you never have."

Ali appeared to be taken aback at my rant, maybe even hurt a little bit by it. But it was the truth, and it was time for her to take it all in and realize what she had done to me over the course of the past year.

"Y/N, I'm—" she paused, and looked away from me, trying to conceal her facial expression. Was she about to say sorry?, I wondered to myself. Was Ali Mills — the seemingly perfect rich girl — about to apologize to me for once? I couldn't believe it. "I just wanted to come over here and invite you to the country club." But no, of course she didn't bother to say sorry.

I gave her a look of confusion. The country club?, I thought, puzzled. Why would she invite me to the country club after everything I had just said to her?

"Friday night at seven," she continued. I furrowed my eyebrows, even more confused. I opened my mouth, about to ask why, but she cut me off rudely before I could say anything, "Don't think I'm trying to be nice and become friends with you again because that's not what I'm trying to do. It was my parents' idea. They were disappointed that you couldn't make it to the dinner last year since your parents had died, so they wanted me to invite you this year."

"But I'm not even a member of the country club anymore. I don't even live in Encino Hills anymore," I protested, unsure of why Ali's parents would want me there this year.

"Well don't worry, this is probably the last year you'll be invited," Ali said curtly, and turned to walk away. Yet as she strode away, she turned and said one last thing to me, "So, if I were you, I would consider showing up this year. And even bring that silly aunt of yours if you want."

And with that being said, Ali returned to the soccer field for practice, leaving me standing there by my bicycle in pure shock and burning anger. Her last line of words continued to replay in my mind, and I decided to mentally respond to Ali, even though I hadn't said anything in reality.

Yes, I will consider showing up this year, I said to 'Ali' in my head, And I will bring that silly aunt of mine with me.

Steaming with anger, I finally mounted my bike and pedaled away in the direction of South Seas. I couldn't wait to tell my aunt Kim that she was invited to a fancy country club party.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not sure how I feel about this chapter. I tried to make it dramatic, but I failed—it just came across as cringy lol.