Chapter Fourteen

The wolf had no other information, so Diego let him go as he and his men turned to head back to the house and likely gather any they could.

Silently, Denali wondered how much Rhetta and Takota had told him. He had known about her perfume and came to the same conclusion as her.

Diego immediately begun to call others as soon as they got for the cabin. From what she overheard from a few of the conversations, she knew he was gathering as many wolves as he could to help.

Apparently, Tokata ran a small pack of his own. She supposed it made sense when he had the money and time to contribute to one. Most of them would be there that day.

Denali laid under the table when the first few arrived. They were younger, but looked eager to help out.

They eyed her curiously from were she laid and Diego knew he was using her as an excuse to gather as many as he could. If it brought Takota back to her, then whatever. She didn't care. The truth would come out eventually.

Denali dozed as more arrived. For some strange reason, she trusted Diego to keep her safe. Maybe that was because he was Takota's best friend.

Night crept into the valley as they discussed battle strategies. Some of them would go with Denali and they would try a diplomatic solution first. If it came to a fight, then the rest of the wolves would join from were they hid nearby.

"Come on, little one." Rhetta's voice woke her sometime later. Denali then realized Diego was the only male left and likely didn't want to leave her alone. Denali came out to follow Rhetta.

Rhetta took her to her room and Denali immediately jumped on the bed to fall asleep once again. Moments later, Rhetta turned off the lights and crawled in next to her somehow knowing being alone was the last thing Denali wanted.

Denali woke to the smell of frying food and immediately jumped off the bed to wonder, leaving Rhetta to sleep. She likely needed her sleep Denali reasoned when she had smelled Rhetta wearing the perfume.

She found Diego and a few other wolves cooking breakfast. She heard many more then the night before out on the lawn sparing also.

She immediately went to Diego and nudged him with her nose. He made a startled noise before he turned.

"Hello, Luna." He said as he turned and she sensed the other two next to her stiffen before they turned to look at her.

Luna had become the nickname for the alpha females of packs. The name sounded strange to her ears, but all she wanted was the food. When she nudged him again, he smiled before he grabbed a plate. He then put some of the eggs, sausage and bacon they had been cooking on it.

She immediately dug into it the moment he set her plate on the ground. They were likely making food for everyone that had arrived, she realized.

After she ate, she rubbed her side against his legs in thanks and he immediately smiled again before she went to the door and opened it by hooking her paw on it. Luckily, this door didnt require thumbs to open. It only required you to push down on the nob.

The moment she stepped out, all eyes turned to her. She snorted in annoyance before she went to the first sparring pair and chose the bigger of the two. She then gave a small growl, challenging him. He seemed unsure for a moment, then made his decision and made a challenging noise back.

He charged her moments later, but she had learned speed while hunting and immediately jumped to the side. He immediately spun when she did, but she was to fast again. She easily dodged. Again he missed as amusement rose inside her. Try another strategy, she silently coached.