Chapter Two - Fallout

There was once again newfound activity when she got home from school the next day. Some of the staff was full of energy while the rest seemed depressed. What had happened while she was at school. It seemed almost like a completely new place.

"What is going on?" She finally asked Rhetta.

"It turns out Xena is Mr. Kenald's mate." She said excited, but Denali just watched her in confusion.

"Oh, you poor child." Rhetta immediately answered when she saw Denali's reaction.

"We wolves fall in love just like humans, but occasionally, one of us finds our mate. It's what humans call their one true love or soulmate." She explained, but Denali had already dismissed the idea.

" Finals are in a few weeks, can I take off a little extra time to help study?" Denali immediately asked, losing interest. Rhetta sighed in pity at her dismissive reaction.

"One day a man will fix what's been done to you." She promised Denali.

"I doubt it." Denali answered. She was beyond fixing and would make her own way through the world.

After a few hours of studying, Denali headed out to do her second batch of chores but was met by once again by frowning Rhetta. Denali knew that Xena was likely the source this time though. Given their last discussion.

" Xena is letting her new status go to her head." Rhetta said as Denali walked up. Denali then looked down to see the carpet muddy and a trail that led upstairs.

" When I commented, she said to stop complaining and do our job." Rhetta said, but Denali wasn't surprised. She always acted like this.

"I will have to speak to him about this." She said as Denali walked to the cleaning cabinet and pulled out some cleaners.

"I will take care of it." Denali offered as Rhetta gave her an apologetic look.

"Thank you, Denali." Rhetta said before she looked at the mess one more time and sighed.

Rhetta went to tend to other duties as Denali looked at the mess and sighed in both annoyance and She was halfway through when Mr. Kenald came down the stairs, freshly showered.

"I'm sorry. Denali wasn't it?" He asked she nodded.

"Xena and I got carried away but thank you for cleaning up." He said and she nodded as she continued to mop.

Why did the thought of them together make her stomach turn? Why did the thought of them together make her heart hurt? She didn't understand. She didn't want to though, she reminded herself.

"Are you alright?" He suddenly asked.

"You look really pale." He added as he went to go around her and paused.

"Finals week is coming up." She tried and his face softened in understanding.

"I'm sure you will do fine." He answered.

"Sir?" She said when he started to walk away. She then froze, realizing she didn't have a question, she just didn't want him to leave.

"Yes?" He answered as he paused again.

"What does it mean to be a mate?" She blurted out.

She already had Rhetta tell her, but she didn't know what else to say. His face immediately softened at her words, and he turned back.

"Our mates make us complete. They fill the whole inside of our hearts and help us to be better people." He answered her question.

"Oh." She answered in return.