T h i r t y - S e v e n

Start from the beginning

She found herself remembering the encouragement she received from Luca regarding a future project including her and Timothée. She wondered if he was right, if a film using both their talents would be as good as he predicted. She wondered if he'd see it, what he'd think. She even fantasized that perhaps he'd invite her to co-direct a project with him. It seemed far-fetched, unrealistic really, but she couldn't help it. For once, she was hopeful.

So as the first take began, Manon felt a delicate droplet of sweat trickle down her forehead. She gazed through the lens as the boy in front of her worked his magic and smiled to herself, wondering what she did to deserve such beauty, knowing that so long as they worked together, the movie would be a work of art, for Timothée was in it, and for her, he was the most beautiful masterpiece of all.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Manon rested her arms on the railing as she stared out to the array of lights in front of her. She often found the idea of the Eiffel Tower to be cringe-worthy and overrated, but as she stood in front of the enveloping, breathtaking view, she bit her tongue and admitted to herself that it was everything she wanted to see in life and more.

She felt his presence as he joined her by the railing, overlooking the view he had been familiarized with so well. It had always taken his breath away, but that time, she was there, and it was as though nothing else mattered, because even though she had the stains of mascara under her eyes after the day of filming, and one could surely predict that if she met the forces of a mirror she'd scream, there was no doubt she was the most beautiful thing he had ever laid his eyes on. 

"You called them, didn't you"? Timothée sent his question out into the universe as he leaned his head on top of his arms, easing into the stone. 

"What are you talking about"? Manon questioned as she averted her gaze to him, leaving her dreamy state, one where for once, she felt at peace. Of course, she knew who he was talking about, but whether she was ready to speak of it or not was an entirely different subject that even she herself couldn't answer.

"Your parents" The two infamous words broke into view as she found her hand tightening around the railing. These words, people always brought them up, never in a good context. 

"Yeah, I did" The girl replied, as though disappointed by her own actions, the guilt of it all storming through her blood.

"And they just agreed to help you without any specific reason"? The boy wondered, hoping to get more information. He didn't know much about her parents, only that they were rich. They were her most kept secret, but it didn't take much thought to realize they didn't share the best relationship. Timothée hoped they were caring, that they assisted her because they loved her, but based on her previous reactions, he had a feeling there was something else he was missing.

"Yeah, guess they did" Manon lied as she gave him a small smile. She tried her best to seem convincing, truly activated her best of skills. The majority of the time she was caught lying by Timothée, was because she wanted him to break through. It was a way for her to call for help, without outrightly saying so. She knew her parents had a reason, but it wasn't one she was going to share with Timothée, not now, maybe even never. She found herself looking away at the thought of it all as the guilt slithered within her again.

Timothée raised an eyebrow at her, doubting her words. He asked himself if he should continue, but he couldn't imagine how hard it must've been to call them and ask them for something considering how rough their relationship was. He figured she had experienced enough of her parents that day and decided to let her have her space.