Chapter 9

** ****I attached a video explaining basic hockey rules so you guys can watch it if you are not familiar with the game. also no one better tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to hockey because I've been playing for ten years!!!********

Chapter 9

    "Okay, so raise your hand if you play forward." Coach Ben asks. Our game is in about fifteen minutes.

    Most of the time when you play hockey, you have practices to build teamwork and get a feel about how the other players play, but because this is pick up, we don't have that luxury.

    Instead, we have to go into the game almost buildly. We have no clue what the strengths and weaknesses of our team will be yet.

    Finn and I both raise our hands, along with Brian and a few other guys.

    "Okay, and who plays center?" He asks once again. Finn and I grin at each other, both with our hands raised. Brian raises his hand too as well as another guy, I think they said his name was Carlos.

    "So, throughout the game we'll decide who will play center because there are four of you with raised hands and we're only going to have three full lines." Coach explains. Brian glares at Finn and I with his lips pulled back into a snarl.
    "Do you have a problem, Mr. Toldo?" Coach asks, noticing Brian's menacing glare towards us.

    "I was center and captain last year, so I should be getting those spots again." He says.

    Our coach raises an eyebrow at him, "I'm the Coach so I'll decide which position you'll be playing. And when the time comes, I will be deciding who will be captain."

    Brian crosses his arms over with a scoff. I can't help it but my teasing grin grows wider.

    "Today we will be versing Pace University. For any of you who don't know or are new, we mostly only play other universities located in New York and we normally always play here because most campuses don't have their own arena." Coach further explains.

    I find my grin turning into a giddy smile very quickly. I didn't even know that colleges did this kind of stuff.

    He began to ask who played defense and which hand everyone played with before stringing together lines.

    "For the starting line, I'm going to have Finn at center, Atlas at left wing and Jeremiah at right wing. When the second period comes around Atlas, I'll switch you and Finn because we do have four people wanting to play center. Sound good?" He asks and we all shake our heads.

    "Alright, let's go boys!"

    Me and the sixteen other guys pile out of the dressing room and into the hallway towards the door that leads to the ice. It feel so good just being in my gear again and just wearing skates.

    I smile as soon as my feet hit the ice. I watch as Finn has the same reaction and I can't help but feel giddy because of that damn smile.

    I watch as the other team piles onto the ice. Their blue and gold jerseys are in great contrast compared to the purpleness of ours.

    "I hope you enjoy left wing, because that's all you'll be playing this year." Brian grunts as he said next to me as we wait in line for our practice drill.

    "Yeah okay man," I laugh.

    "You must think you're so funny," He sneers and I just shrug, a smile still on my face.

    Over the years I have learned that the best way to piss people off isn't to fight back but to act like you don't care instead. A smile and a laugh will drive them crazy. That's how you really get to people.