Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"How was your first day?" Debra asks me as I grab my coat off the rack by the punch out clock. It's the following Saturday and my first day at Trader Joes.

"It actually went really well," I say with a genuine smile. I was being honest too. Training was actually really easy. I got hired for weekend shifts so I'll be able to work every Saturday and Sunday from eight in the morning to four in the afternoon.

"I knew you would do well," The older lady says. I watch as her faded red hairs glims in the yellowish light of the back room. She has a super comforting and welcome presence to her, one that can often be found in the lesser judgemental boomers.

"Thank you. I appreciate you putting in a good word for me." I tell her and she pats my arm with a smile.

"Of course honey, I'm a very good judge of character." She says with a wide smile. I give her a matching smile before beginning to walk away.

"Have a good night!" I say behind my shoulder.

"You too, Atlas!" Her smile still true and wide.

I walk outside in the cool air of late September with a smile. I'm very happy about how today went. I was trained to be a cashier, something I'm already very familiar with.

Tonight, Finn and I have our first pick up hockey game. There's actually a rink on campus that we're able to play at. We don't get to play on the main ice because that's for the men's and women's official NYU team, but the other rink they have in the building is still super nice.

The other night, Finn and I went to check it out. Checking it out only got us even more excited to play.

I begin the walk back to my dorm so I can do some reading before hockey tonight. Our game is at eight-thirty so I'll have some time to read and relax before the game. Since it's just pick up, we don't practice but Finn was telling me that he heard that the pick up games can get really competitive, especially since we verse other schools.

The twenty minute walk back to my dorm is quick and not so bad. I'm just not looking forward to winter. Dreading winter is something I've thought about probably every day since I've gotten here.

I decide to take out my phone when I get to the elevator to text Trina about how my first day went.

Trina 4:28pm

That's great baby! Are you excited for hockey tonight?

Me 4:30pm

I'm super excited! Kind of nervous to meet new teammates tbh.

Trina 4:34pm

You'll do just fine love! Everyone loves you :)

I smile at her words of encouragement as I unlock the door to Finn and I's bedroom. I find him napping in his bed and I can't help but smile when I see him. He's facing away from the wall so I can see his face clearly from the light coming from the blinds. I don't turn on the light so I don't wake him up.

He groans and turns a bit in his sleep, but not enough to completely turn over. A nap doesn't sound so bad to be honest. I throw off my new uniform and climb into my own bed.

I attempt to close my eyes, but Finn's sleeping self is distracting me. I roll over so I can watch him. His hair is sprawled out beneath him and his full lips are slightly open. Part of me is enjoying watching him like this. I know it's weird but he looks so peaceful and innocent. He's not even trying and he's glowing.