An Author's Note

As a young writer in high school (as I write this the November of 2014), I've had my ups and downs with people of different worlds, abilities, and kindness. I've had depression for four years now and despite my own ability to handle it, I've come under constant reminder by my own subconscious that I'm not worth the world's time. I have been pushed around by myself as well as others and to know how hard it is to know what a difference can make in giving someone a smile, or telling them something nice.

This story, an original piece, was written in the most stressful month of the 2014 year; My mother and stepfather who live out in Ferguson, Missouri, have been on my mind a lot this month; I've been fighting with myself about my body, the way I look and feel, and my gender; I've been striving for straight A's. It's been harsh and to sit and write has been such a relief on my body and my mind.

My younger and older siblings have been such an inspiration to me as the years had let on, and even now. My older siblings are reaching new heights every day and my younger siblings look up to me as a God, almost. I'd never want to let any of them down with what I'm capable of.

To dedicate the book to them wouldn't nearly be enough. It wouldn't be enough to dedicate it to my mother who's been there through everything with me and has directed me on the right paths. It's not enough to dedicate this to my dad who single handedly raised two teenagers without a clue about what he was doing. So, I'd like to dedicate this book to someone who it would be enough to dedicate to: Everyone in my life that has put a smile on my face.

The main character in this book, Myles O'Connor, is a man who has been pushed around for many years because of who he is and what he does. His sister, Jennifer, and his friends, Eli and Jacob, are there to help. When times are tough, however, things start to go downhill. A girl comes along to bring that smile back onto Myles' face just as so many people have done for me in my own dark times.

I hope you enjoy this book. It means a lot to me that you've come to read this and I hope with all of my heart that you enjoy. Please put a smile on somebody's face today, upset or not. It'll make everything better, even for a little.

Signed, "Daniel-"Chase A. Pruitt