Chapter Four

A purple tank top, blue jeans, and black boots with a black trench-coat, Sherlock style, to go along with it. Catalina stood at the counter of the Pendleton Street Starbucks, waiting patiently for Myles to talk things through with Lust. She was sitting on the dishwasher and kicking her legs, nearly hitting Myles with her mint TOMS.

“Don’t ask her,” Myles tried to confirm.

“Ask her.”

“But you said not to and now you’re saying to.”

“I’m also saying you need to push up your glasses but you can see perfectly fine. Don’t ask her.”

“You’re insufferable,” he said, finally turning to face the beautiful waitress. He smiled and tilted his head a bit, setting his palms onto the counter. “And how may I help you today, Catalina Touch from Paper Soldiers?”

“Well, Myles from Starbucks, I’d like a vanilla bean latte. Can ya handle?”

“I most certainly can,” he laughed. He turned about and got to work while she watched. “My last name,” he said.

“Hm?” she intended to know, for he knew hers.

“O’Connor. Irish blood, Irish name.”

“Also explains the ginger hair,” she pointed out. She giggled and he laughed, Lust giving the girl an evil glare.

“She looks like a-”

“Don’t you dare say anything about her,” Myles seethed, snapping his attention to the girl upon the dishwasher. Catalina backed away from the counter a bit, going wide-eyed. “She’s perfect. Get over it.”

“I’m what?”

Myles took a sharp breath in and looked back to his doing, then bit down on his lip. Great. She heard them. Well, she heard him, and his words made her ask. And even she asked again.

“I’m… what?”

“He said you’re perfect!” Lust yelled, making him cringe. He finished up her drink and picked up the Sharpie from the end counter, writing on the cup, 555-1692, and handing it to her. She took her drink from him and nodded, walking out and pulling her collar up against the wind.

“That was the sliest way to ask someone out. Giving them your number on a Starbucks cup. Pure and utterly gentleman-like, Myles. Good job.”

“Screw off,” he hissed. “You made me embarrass myself in front of her.”

“That’s only because you decided to be an idiot and respond to me.” He looked down to his hands and then over to her, seeing her continue her leg-kicking.

“Why-”

“Bass said that we needed to listen to him more, and Divide said we needed to calm down. He said that Jacob and Eli said we needed to.” She watched him walk to the ice machine and wipe off the grate, realizing he wasn’t really listening to him.

“Hey, there,” she said, grabbing his attention. He wasn’t an other, so why would she say that? Make him feel as if he was invisible to the world? He turned to look to her and forced a grin, pissed beyond belief. He rose his arms, a shrug in his shoulders, and bit on the inside of his cheek

“What the hell do you think is so important to tell me when I’m trying to get you away from me? You’re making me mad! You know what you have to do; listen to Bass, ignore Divide in bad moods, and not fuck with my mind!”

She stared at him, mouth ajar and eyes red with the tears that were about to spill out and down her cheeks. She exhaled with a scoff, looking away and letting her lips curl into a surprised and pained smile. She took a second to stare at the counter, then looked back up at him.