Chapter Five

Bass and Lust stepped back from Myles, admiring their creation. A light grey, button-up Tommy Hilfiger shirt, his favorite jacket, dark denim jeans, and red Converse adorned upon Myles O’Connor was the art in the room. Bass dragged his head about his shoulders, then walked to the closest, pointing out something. Myles looked over, seeing a black beanie. He smiled and picked it up, pulling it upon his head and looking back into the mirror upon the dresser.

“Anything else?” he asked. The two shook their heads and Lust lightly grabbed hold of Myles’ arm with a single hand, letting out a sigh.

“Be good, and don’t get hurt, please.”

“Of course,” he replied, wrapping her into a hug. She hugged him right back, able to rest her head against the top of his head thanks to her towering 6’3” height. She was gone, leaving him in the room with Bass.

He sniffled, looking at his best friend. “You look so grown up.”

“Man,” Myles laughed, “You said that when I graduated college.”

“And when you had your first kiss, and when you moved into your own apartment, and when… yeah. I know. But really, Myles, you look like how you should: normal.”

“And I like it this way.” He turned to look out into the little hallway, seeing Divide’s attention adjust to the man. “Keep the place held down for the night?”

“When’ll you be back?” he asked, swiping his hair from his face.

“10 or 11. Depends.”

“We’ll see.” He lifted his chin, slyly looking at Myles. Goldfish snickered.

“That doesn’t worry me,” Myles said with a pointed finger. He looked back to Bass and smiled, adjusting his over coat and walking out of the bedroom and towards the door. Car keys in hand and wallet in pocket, he headed out of his place with Bass behind in close proximity.

Down a shitty little stairwell and out into the cold, Myles felt like screaming in joy. A pretty girl, a gamer-girl, may just like him. Not the jock/druggie Dianna Watson was, or the snot-nosed brat Amanda Fride was. Just the gamer and laid back way only Catalina Touch could hold up was what Myles was in for, in all hoping.

As great as he felt, the sky said otherwise. The clouds rolled over in a grey and murky color to overcast the town in darkness and a moon-like brightness of a glow across the streets. The lamps on corners were turned on, all the lights in shoppes were illuminating the steps to the sidewalks, and cars had their headlights on low as they crawled down the road.

The chill in the air gave Myles’ (and consequently Divide’s) skin goosebumps, despite the overcoat and long-sleeve shirt. The door creaked as Myles opened it for his friend, and then slammed against the sudden blast of wind. Bass jumped in his tan clothed seat and looked at Myles with wide green eyes.

“Sorry,” he said against the wind. Bass nodded and waited patiently for Myles to walk around his car and get in, buckling up and starting it up.

“Off to Never-to-Happen Land,” Bass joked. Myles rolled his eyes as he backed out from the parking lot of Genchill Apartments; An old little six-floor building with eight studios and a couple of three-bedrooms towards the top. Myles was given a two-bedroom on the second floor which he had no need for other than for himself and six invisible people who claimed to say the other was for them.

There were even pillows and blankets tossed about the floor and if anyone asked, Myles would reply with a simple, “for sleepovers,” and they’d never ask again. They all slept on the pillows and blankets, unable to lift the blankets to sleep underneath them. Divide was lucky, feeling the warmth of what blankets Myles had on during the night, which was a lot during his nap since it was so cold outside.