Chapter Six

There was nonsense talk all throughout dinner about games and jobs, but then came the interesting part: dropping her off at Oakland Apartments. He led her up to the steps of the apartment building, his hand on her back ever so lightly. He stopped when she did, looking down at he and smiling. His heart was racing inside of his chest and his palms were clammy.

“Well, I guess this is goodbye?” she asked, crossing her arms over her chest to keep from the cold. He shrugged and nodded, not wanting the night to end, but she understood that there were people he had to tend to back at home.

“I’ll see you next week? Same place same time?” He asked in reply.

“We can probably go for a movie next time,” she offered. He nodded and heard Bass yell from the car, “kiss her!”

Myles put a hand to the side of her face, leaning down and kissing her ever so gently. He felt his heart ignite and his stomach do flips when she kissed back, pulling away to enter the building.

“G’night,” he said before she shut the door. He walked back to the car with a pure grin on his face, getting in and driving off. Bass only laughed the etre way home, unable to think coherently about what to comment.

Once they arrived home, however, Divide and Lust were all over them. They were like children, running to the door in pajamas and socks with shocked looks on their faces. Especially Divide, with the grossest look on his face, absolutely sickened.

“You kissed her!” he yelled. “You actually planted your lips upon hers! And you don’t even have an upper lip!”

“Blame my dad for that one,” Myles said, stripping of his coat. Divide scoffed and Lust squealed.

“You actually went for it!” she shrieked, jumping up and down with excitement.

“And I had to feel it,” Divide scowled.

“Get used to it,” Bass said. Divide and Lust stopped their chatter and watched Bass follow Myles into his room, shutting the door. He huffed, sitting on the bed and ridding himself of his shoes. Myles joined him and followed his example, tossing his Converse to the wall and flopping down onto the bed.

“You did pretty well,” Bass said, taking off his beanie and socks. “I mean that by the way you both handled me and her at the same time.”

“You were quiet after Cat said she wanted to meet the others.”

“I was watching her, making sure she was the right kind of girl for you.” Myles looked to the back of Bass and raised an eyebrow, pushing up his glasses.

“What do you mean by that?”

“I don’t want there to be any heartbreak between you two, especially at the reunion. It’s coming up in three weeks and you have until then to… To rid of us and to have a decent bond with her.”

“I kissed her, that’s it.”

“And you like her, Myles. A lot. I can see it! Divide can feel it, we should remember. I’m sure he can feel the way you stop breathing when you hear her bubbly laugh, or the way she quotes anything and everything Paul Rudd and the way her eyes twinkle that makes your stomach turn.”

Bass looked back to Myles and grinned. “And I’m sure he can feel his cheeks burning as badly as yours are right now.” Myles laughed and shook his head. “You love her. Admit it.”

“I never said I wasn't,” Myles said. He looked the the ceiling fan and unbuttoned his shirt, Bass getting off the foot of the bed and retreating to the living room, joining Lust and Divide on the sofa.