Chapter Thirty One

Word Count:

~Abella

I didn't believe him.

You can't just have two mates. If it happens, it's extremely rare to the point where people don't come out to be honest with people about their mates, knowing curiosity would drive anyone to crazy lengths to find out how they could get a second mate themselves. In my life, as short as it has been, I've never known, or heard of anyone who has had a second mate.

It simply...doesn't happen. So as I stare into Noah's earnest gaze, I'm stunned. I can't believe it, and most importantly, I don't want to believe it. I don't want to accept the deception from both Cian and Noah.

"I don't understand," is all I manage to choke out. I'm hoping that grim expression will erupt into laughter, at his disbelief that I would believe such a ridiculous claim.

But he remains solemn.

"We wanted to tell you, but we promised each other we would stay out of your life, to avoid conflict, and to put such a difficult decision on you. I hope you understand," Noah says warily, observing my expression carefully, as if he knows I'm about to explode.

Despite the fire in the room, my skin is ice cold. I don't stare at the marking on his wrist, but at the skin beneath it. Just one touch and I could determine that we are mates. But like with Cian, I'm scared. I don't want to know if I'm his mate, because if I am, I don't know what I'll do. I don't know if I can handle two mates.

"You both decided what was good for me, then?" I say sourly. Noah blinks a few times, swallowing uncomfortably. Here I was, living my life, with them both knowing my fate before I did.

I might be sick...

"We decided that because Cian is a Sin, and I'm this Demon like creature, it would be better not to tell you. We had a contract, too, but Cian broke it, knowing there isn't much I could do," Noah tells me. He's not trying to blame Cian, but it clearly bothers him. It bothers me too, but that's something I'll speak to him later about.

"I don't want two mates," I breathe covering my face with my hands.

"I don't blame you. Anything you want to do, you can. Choose Cian, I completely understand, or don't choose either of us. Just know you don't owe us anything," Noah assures me. I'm not sure if that should make me feel better or not.

Getting to my feet, I rub my arms. I should touch him. I should touch his bare skin and confirm that we are mates, instead of just believing him.

But in reality, I know he wouldn't lie to me about this.

"I need to speak to Cian," I mutter, mainly to myself. I'm pacing, at this point, already wondering how I'm going to approach him with this. Noah gets to his feet, looking anxious.

"No, why don't you stay here and I'll talk you through things. Cian might not react the way you want him to," Noah reminds me. I shake my head at him. As much as I would like to stay behind and try to wrap my head around it all, with the calming, understanding tone from Noah, I need to confront Cian. What else has he been hiding from me?

"I'm sorry Noah. But Cian need to explain himself to," I tell him.

Noah takes a deep breath, shuddering. "Do you not like me? Does the idea of being with me upset you so much you have to leave? Because if that's the truth, that's okay. But would you not consider giving me a chance? Because nothing would make me happier than having a mate."

It practically broke my heart hearing him say that, like he doubts I want anything to do with him. In all honesty, I've felt things for Noah I thought I was wrong for fearing. Turns out, it was the mate-bond in effect, but that doesn't make me feel any less guilty. As much as I want to stay, by this fire, I have to leave. It tugs at my heart, but I don't just have Noah to deal with, but Cian to.