Chapter Five

Word Count: 1901

~Abella

"This has been the worst week of my life."

They are the first words to come out of my mouth as Sam walks into my apartment. She barely has time to put her bag down before I grab her arm, pulling her toward my bedroom. We always collapse onto my bed and talk when either one of us has a problem. Usually it's a problem Sam had, but now that has fallen upon my shoulders.

"Is this about that Cian guy who interrupted us at the bar? God he was hot," she says, crawling across my bed covers to lie beside me.

"Half of it is about him, and the other half isn't," I say. Underneath this bed, the duffle bag full of money sits there, ready to be dug out by authorities before I'm dragged off to the prisons where I will spent the rest of my life. At least I won't be harassed by Cian, or offered anymore jobs by Alpha Noah.

Sam sits up. "Tell me everything."

"Might as well start with the fact that I got offered a job...by Alpha Noah. Something about sorting through his mail because someone wants to assassinate him. Not sure who would want to do that...but regardless, he offered me a job and I don't think I'm going to take it," I say, practically all in one breath. Sam blinks at me a few times, before squealing.

She jumps up and down on the bed on her knees, clapping her hands. "You have to take it, are you kidding me? You're working for the Alpha, which means not only being paid a ton, but you're rubbing shoulders with the most powerful man in this Pack!"

Of course that's what Sam takes from this.

"You forget I have no social skills, and after this, I'll be living in the bowels of the place, and I'll never see him. Not that I want to," I sigh.

"You're taking the job...So, what else is going on?"

Instead of explaining, I get up, kneeling beside my bed. Sam watches keenly, as I reach under, dragging out the black leather duffle bag with a golden zip. As confused as she might be, Sam finally remains quiet until I open the bag, revealing the money stuffed immaculately inside, before her voice squeaks out in shock.

"Who...what? Wait, how did you get this much money?" she questions, hopping down beside me. She grabs a fistful of notes. "Have you been lying to me this entire time about having no money so I'll pay for dinners out?"

"Would you put the money back, please," I growl, grabbing it from her hands before I zip it back up. "I don't want fingerprints on it."

Sam hops back onto the bed, raising a questioning eyebrow at me. I wish it were easier to explain, but considering I don't know all the details, it's going to be hard to get Sam to understand. Actually no, Sam believes anything, even if it's not real. She just likes the entertainment of it all.

"Cian left it for me. He wrote a note too. All because I admitted I struggle with money. I haven't seen him around since he delivered this, although it was only yesterday. I need to give it back, but I don't want to see him every again," I tell her.

Sam blinks a few times, looking genuinely confused. "You're telling me you don't want to see the ridiculously hot guy from the Desire Pack who gave you tons of money?"

"Well no..."

"Are you crazy? I'll go tell him you don't want the money if you're so shy. Maybe I'll even suggest to him he should give me the money," Sam says excitedly. I know she is just joking, but I still feel uncomfortable. Crawling back onto the bed, I let Sam pull me into her arms. Her hugs always make my worst fears vanish. For the meantime.