Chapter Four

Word Count: 1652

~Abella

There are really no words.

The silence in the room weighs upon my shoulders, as I sift ideas through my mind, trying to make sense of his words. I remember when my life used to be normal, boring even. The most interesting part of my day was when Sam would come over and tell me about all the hopeless romantics that would fall at her feet at work. I would listen and indulge in the idea of having my day filled with something more interesting than Jeffrey ambling into the back room every now and again.

Even if Sam's stories weren't that interesting, and have been put to shame by the events in my life now, they seemed so fascinating once upon a time. She would drink her wine, and stories of her travels would come up.

I somehow doubt she has left this Pack, though.

This is different. This is a small room in the bottom of a manor in which the Alpha sitting in front of me owns. He hasn't said anything since his last sentence, and neither have I. How am I meant to answer?

What I wanted delivered, was you.

"Oh," I find myself saying. It's all I can say. Not because I'm shy, or intimidated, but because I have no other explanation for his words.

Noah is striking. I won't lie to myself and sit here thinking those eyes that keenly search my face, looking for evidence of what I'm thinking, are so green they almost hurt to look at. They aren't the only strange, almost otherworldly feature I've seen this week. Cian, and his hair, and his clothes. It leaves me to wonder why these males have stepped into my life so suddenly.

"I assumed if I asked you directly to come here, you wouldn't. I was hoping this would be the best way," he explains, clasping his hands together as he rests his forearms on his thighs, leaning forward.

I'm still not quite understanding. "Why? I mean, why do you want me here?"

He seems surprised that I'm asking him that, as if he didn't think about his answer before I arrived. The walls around me seem to be closing in, as I consider the fact that I might not be able to leave this place. What if he brought me here for a sinister reason? Just thinking that makes me feel guilty and foolish, yet I don't complete disregard it.

"Oh. I was hoping to offer you a job here," he tells me, as if his simple explanation was to wash all my concerns away. All I'm qualified for is sitting in a mailroom sorting through peoples packages. It's not my fault I couldn't afford to go to university.

"Why? What for?" I question. How my exactly came to Alpha Noah is beyond me, and it seems by his expression, he is having a hard time explaining himself.

He shifts in his seat. As regal as he may seem, I can tell he has prepared for this conversation. It doesn't surprise me, considering I'm not all that important. Yet, I still sit here, getting offered a job by the Alpha of my Pack for a reason still unknown. I patiently wait, hoping it's not to scrub the floors for a better rate than what I would be paid back home. It would be questionably worse.

I would be away from Cian, though...

"Well...Ah, I was hoping you would be able to test and sort through mail here before it gets into my hands. We had an accident recently due to some workers here who have a lack of skill. You, according to our records, have been working at the mail office in your town for three years. Surely you have more skill to deal with sensitive material that comes in than them," he tells me.

"Accident? What kind of accident?" I question. The worst incident we had with mailing was when a vengeful ex tried to send someone a dead animal, which shut us down for days after it was investigated by the authorities. I've never dealt with sensitive material that affects an Alpha before.