12

He knew this matchup was a mistake the moment Valt saw Phi.

A look Shu'd never seen crossed his face and he immediately wondered how anyone in Spain was going to live through Scary Valt.

Phi looked unconcerned, lazily flipping his hair and turning to the Chimera blader. How he was so calm in the middle of a forest, Shu didn't know. Anyone could easily arrange a murder here, and with it so far away from the city, an unmarked grave would be surprisingly easy to hide. How was he not scared?

"You want me to battle him?" the Phoenix sighed. "Shu, that's sad, even for you~"

Valt growled loudly. "I'm right here, Phi." His voice was altered slightly, sounding like three people speaking than just one. Creepy. "And I'm beating you four-zero, I promise."

"Really?" Phi smirked, flipping his hair. "You and what army?"

The blue-haired blader's eyes flashed again, and he snarled in a very un-Valt way. He didn't bother saying anything, just took Valtryek out and attached her to the launcher. "Shu."

His head snapped towards him, pale hand reaching for a shard of Storm Spryzen. "Yes?"

"Ref for us."

"Of course."

Phi sauntered forward, black bodysuit absorbing all light. "Oh, Shu~" he purred.

What." Shu let his tone twist into something cold and unforgiving. It was too easy to slip back into Red Eye's response patterns.

"I'd like to make this game a little more interesting. You up for it~"

"Depends. What are you offering." Snap out of it, snap out of it, snap out of it... He couldn't be Red Eye again. Focus...

"Aoi~ I think whoever wins this should get Shu~"

"WHAT?"

Their reactions exploded out at the same time, the Chimera blader covering his mouth at the outburst, Aoi's aura flaring up. If he wasn't ready to kill Phi earlier, he definitely was now.

"Well, it makes sense." His aura flashed in response to Valt's. "You want him. Free wants you."

"And what would you get out of it?" Brown eyes began glowing a dark blue, and his one voice gained gravity of some sort, like two other voices were chorusing with his.

"Amusement~"

Shu could believe it. Phi was just that guy.

Wait...

"I'm not a trophy!" he protested. "Don't even-"

"Challenge accepted," Valt roared. "I'm going to destroy you!"

"Excuse me?"

Phi laughed. "I'd love to see it~" He hummed lazily as he got into his launch stance. "Better live up to all the hype. I'd hate to have traveled this far to be disappointed."

"Bite me." The three voices lowered to something quieter and menacing. Terrifying to the point where Shu could imagine him in a mask and fitted armor and no remorse for anything. He would have to thank Free later, as painful as that was going to be.

If there was a later.

"Three!"

"Two!"

"One!"

"Go... shoot!"

From where he stood, Shu could note the new speed and agility of Valtryek. When it landed in the outer rim, it attacked the middle without any hesitation. Phoenix was already there, having landed dead center with flawless accuracy.