"I'm not yet sure." Effie pursed her lips shut.

"Then what are you doing back here? We need to know if she was older or not." Kasey glared at the older witch. "It makes all the difference."

"I'm sure she knows that." Vivian rested her hand on Kasey's shoulder.

"Well, I'm sorry if I'm not perfect like you!" Kasey shook off Vivian's hand and shot up from the couch. "Some of us haven't been living our lives wrapped in cotton. Some of us don't like the thought of having been lied to for our entire lives."

"Excuse me?" Vivian bolted off the couch, facing the equally fuming Kasey.

Just like that I felt like a spell had been broken. I regained control over my mind and my body.

"That's enough." I rose from Theo's lap. "Nothing will change if we start blaming each other. We may know that the three of us are related, but it's not the end. Nothing's decided yet."

And nothing would be decided until I figured out if Darlene was really involved in my mother's murder.

I first turned to face my childhood mentor. "Effie, you have the greatest access to our history, so I would appreciate if you dug into this mess. We need to know if my grandmother was the older or the younger sister."

"Of course," Effie nodded.

"What if it turns out that your grandmother was the younger sister?" Zara asked.

"Then we'll find out why my grandmother became the High Priestess and not her sister." I wasn't going to stop until I knew every last detail of our messy history. "There must be a reason why no one remembers my grandmother even having a sister, let alone possibly an older one."

I was determined to get to the bottom of this. Not just for the sake of my role as the High Priestess, but for the sake of our entire species.

"I know this goes without saying, but I'm still going to say it." Theo stood and positioned himself next to me. "You have full support of the werewolves. Whatever you might need, it's yours."

"I probably shouldn't say this, but I'm on your side as well." Effie extended her hand toward me.

I latched onto her fingers and squeezed them. "Thank you." I looked around the room to the faces of the people closest to me. "It's already late, so why don't we all settle for the night. Tomorrow we can begin with the search for the truth."

Slowly I made my way upstairs to my room with Theo right behind me. I expected him to wish me goodnight at my door and then move to his own room, but instead, he followed me right into mine.

"We need to talk." He shut the door with a silent click and turned to face me. 

With a sigh I crumbled onto my bed. After everything that had happened today, there was no wonder I felt like someone was banging a hammer against my temple.

"Look Theo, I'm thankful for your support, but can we talk about this tomorrow?" Tomorrow I could deal with anything thrown at me, but not today. Today I needed some sleep.

"I don't mean the situation with the witch." He began to stalk across the room toward me. "I'm talking about your stupid stunt with freezing me."

This time I was the one who froze. With the Darlene mess I had almost forgotten about the spell I had used on him and Zara. However, he obviously hadn't.

He diminished the distance between us until he was looming over me. He rested his hands on either side of the bed, leaning so close our noses were almost touching.