Unexpected

Lane

I looked around my room, and at first, it felt like home, then I remembered I'm supposed to be dead. This is more of a memorial than my childhood bedroom. Every trophy, poster, and photo sat in the same spot. Even my model cars I built and airplanes sat in the same spot I left them.

Danica picked up a photo from my nightstand. "I guess this is Megan?" She asked.

"Yeah." It was all I said as I put our bags on the bed.

"She was a cheerleader." She said.

"Yeah, I think we need to clean out my old drawers to make room," I said as I tried to change the subject.

"It's okay, Lane." She said as she set down the photo.

It's really not okay. I've been bothered by the fact that Megan wasn't even a second thought when I was given my retirement. Megan and I shared something very rare, and through all these years I never forgot. I remembered her laugh, her cry, her touch, and all the promises we made to each other.

"It's the past," I said as I started clearing my drawers and putting things on the top shelf of my closet.

"All these things should be donated," I said as I looked at my clothes that once fit a much smaller frame.

I felt Danica's touch on my arm. "Hey, look at me." She said, and I stopped what I was doing to put my arms around my wife.

"You had a past like most normal people. I expect that, and it really is okay." She said.

I looked down into those bright blue eyes and see the most beautiful girl in the world. "The present and our future are all that matters. Neither one of us can take back our pasts, so moving forward is all we can do." I said, then pecked her lips. "Let's get this done," I said, then went back to putting my old things away.

"Why not let me do this while you go down with your dad?" She asked.

"We can have it done pretty quick," I said.

"Yeah, I can do this while you go spend time with your dad. I was thinking I might take a nap anyway." She said.

"Are you feeling okay?" I asked as I opened my gym bag.

"Yeah, I'm just a little tired from the trip. When I wake up I could make dinner." She said.

"You don't have to do that, Danica. I'm sure I can put something together." I said.

She smiled. "You know how much I like to cook now, it would be my pleasure." She said.

"Okay, if that's what you really want to do," I said, then walked over and pulled her into my arms.

"It is, and I want you to spend as much time with him as possible." She said as she looked up at me.

"I love you, and thanks," I said as I lowered my head and gave her a kiss. By the time I got back downstairs, my father was hanging up the phone.

"Did you reach them?" I asked.

He nodded. "Yes, but your Aunt Janie said she's going to put something together and will call us back." He said as he shuffled to the kitchen table. "Where's my daughter-in-law?" He asked.

I sat with him at the table. "Taking a nap. She asked if she could make dinner and I said that's fine."

I barely finished what I was saying, when I heard the front door fly open.

"Grandpa Hank!" I turned and saw two little boys running into the house.

"Where's your mom?" My dad asked.

"Getting baby Brianna from the car." One boy said and rushed up to hug my dad.

"Who is that?" The other boy pointed at me.

"Boys, this is my son Lane," Dad said, then I heard footsteps and looked up. I could barely stand when I saw my past walk into the kitchen.

Her long blond hair is shorter now and I could never forget those brown eyes. She's carrying a baby seat and her face turned as white as a ghost. She slowly set the baby down.

"Megan," I whispered. My body went numb and I could barely breathe.

"It's true." She whispered as she stared at me.

"Mommy, its Grandpa Hank's son." One boy said, and it's like she didn't hear him.

Dad cleared his throat. "I tried to call you, Megan," Dad said.

"I..I.." She stumbled for words as I looked her over and my eyes zoomed in on the wedding ring she is wearing.

"Hello, Megan," I said, and suddenly I saw tears.

"You're really here." She said as she kept staring at me.

"Grandpa, do you have candy?" One of the boys asked.

"Sure, you boys can come with me." He said as he got up and the boys followed. He stopped right next to me. "I tried to call her, I'm sorry." He whispered.

"It's okay, Dad," I said, and he patted my back before walking out of the room with the boys.

"I should have called him back, but I was getting groceries. I'm sorry to have interrupted. I should probably get the groceries from the car and go." She said.

"It's okay. You look good, time has treated you well." I said.

She shrugged. "It's not been easy, Lane."

I looked down and saw an infant that looks brand new sleeping in the seat. "It looks like you've done well." I looked back up to her.

She tilted her head. "Where were you?" She wiped a tear away.

"Didn't my father tell you?" I asked as I stood uncomfortably in front of the woman I once loved.

She nodded. "Yes, it's just that you don't look frail or how I would imagine a POW just returning home." She said.

I ignored her comment. "Do you need help with the groceries?" I asked.

"Sure, I really am sorry. It's just on Thursdays I go to the grocery for him and make up his meals for the week." She said.

"I know you've always taken care of him, and I'm sorry you had to pick up the pieces for me," I said.

She shook her head. "You know how much I loved both of your parents." She said.

"Well, thank you for taking care of him. Is your car unlocked?" I asked.

"Yes, thank you." She said, and as I walked past her, she caught my arm. "I'm happy to see you, Lane."