Go with the Flow

The walk to your house was mostly quiet, the both of you were listening to the drumming of the rain on Steven's shield. You felt a bit awkward standing so close under it, but Steven didn't seem to break a sweat. You got to your house within 10 minutes, and approached the front door.

" Thanks for walking with me, Steven. It would have been miserable without you." You said gratefully. Steven smiled sheepishly and scratched the back his neck.

"Oh you're welcome, sooo I'll see you tomorrow then right?" Steven replied.

" Yes? I'll being working tomorrow again, if you wanna stop by"

"Then I plan to, maybe I can help you talk to the customers as well?" He asked while you opened the door and turned around in the house.

You giggled lightly, " yes that would be great... I'll see you tomorrow then." Steven said his goodbyes and began to walk back to his beach house. You felt bad that he had to walk all the way back by himself, but little did you know, he walked the whole way back with a goofy little smile.

💫

  Your second day of work was awful. There were many more people and you had a hard time remembering what they wanted because you were so focused on not stuttering and talking like a normal person. No one said anything about it, but you got a few weird looks and annoyed glances. You even spilled someone's coffee, and even Mr. Dewey was disappointed but pretended to brush it off because "it's your first job." You were even more upset when Steven never showed up and helped you. You may not think he can help you be a little less socially awkward but having him to encourage you would have helped.

You had just walked out of the Big Donut after your shift when you saw Steven running towards you from the bend around the beach. He caught up to you, panting.

" I'm so sorry Y/n! I had to visit the Diamonds but they wouldn't let me leave afterwards. Ugh I can't believe I missed your shift, really I'm sorry." Steven apologized and he bent over, sweating from running from the beach house.

You sighed. Of course he couldn't make it, how could you forget? Steven was important and had better things to do than help you. "It's alright, Steven. I shouldn't have expected you to.. you've got things you need to do."

  He looked up at you, studying your face. You seemed tired; your hair was slightly unkept and there seemed to be a coffee stain on your shirt? Steven felt bad, you must've had a bad day. He wanted to cheer you up, but didnt know how.

"Well, still wanna hang out?" He asked.

"Yeh."

You sat on the beach together near the Big Donut, talking about your day while the sun  slowly set. The sky was a gorgeous hue of orange, pink, and purple.

" My mind just goes blank, I can't think of what to say other than uh, um, and er " you said, explaining your method of answering customers questions about donuts. You watched Steven dig a little grave in the sand for his hands. You giggled a bit, he was so silly. He softy smiled towards you, happy to see you feel better. He wasn't sure why it was so important to him though.

"Well you'll get the hang of it, I'm sure. You just can't be afraid to look silly sometimes."

  You huffed. "You make it sound so easy. How do you just act so chill?"

   Steven shrugged. " I just kinda go with the flow."

" And how exactly do you do that?"

He thought for a moment. He didn't really know, but he knew he wanted to give you an answer. The boy looked down at the his hands buried in the sand then glanced at the water ahead.  "Hmm... Like this!" Steven exclaimed and flinging sand everywhere, he grabbed your hand and ran you to the water.

"What are we doing?!" You yelled as he dragged you to the rushing waves.

" Going with the flow!"

"I didn't think you meant literally!" You laughed. Two of you ran into the water to your knees and splashed around. You felt goofy but you were okay with it for once. Steven was estatic to see you loosen up and laughing loudly; he couldn't get enough of the sight. You were so pretty to him.

  While playing in the water, you felt something pinch your foot, maybe a crab. It didn't hurt too much but it scared you out of your wits. You jumped back with a yelp, bumping into Steven, making you both crash into the shallow water.

   Steven froze. You had managed to land right of top of him. You recovered from the fall, getting up on your hands and knees, opened your eyes before looking down at  Steven's wide eyed face. You were also shocked, but something came over you. In the spur of the moment you smirked and leaned toward his face a bit and said

"Go with the flow, right? Whatcha gonna do now?"

He blushed, staring up at you and then glanced at your lips for a moment. Steven squeezed his eyes shut, trying to keep his composure, before giving you a mischievous little smile. In a flash he flipped you both over and did the same to you.

"What are you going to do, Y/n?"

Now it was your turn to be flustered. "Uhhhh" your eyes darted around trying to think. A small rush of water ran through your hair from a wave that crashed. Aha!

" this!" You yelled and grabbed clump of wet sand under you and rubbed it all over Steven's wet mop of hair.

"Ack!" Steven yelled and stood back, rubbing his hands through his dark brown locks trying to be rid of the sand. He laughed loudly, taken by surprise once again. You got up as well, trying to rub sand off your damp clothes, snickering.

"Haha, ugh I feel so gross now!" You said.

Steven chuckled again, "you're far from it, but my house right back there  if you wanna clean up." He pointed behind you, to the new and improved beach house, with a small glass dome behind it. 

    You walked there and Steven showed you the bathroom. He gave you one of his old red t shirts and a pair of sweat pants so you didn't have to get back into your wet uniform. You got out of a hot shower feeling clean, and put on the clothes. Steven was waiting for his turn out on the couch. He turned to you and blushed lightly.

"Y-you can watch TV upstairs if you like, while I get a shower." He suggested, making his way to the bathroom. You ended up doing just that, and had eventually made yourself comfortable on his bed, watching some silly cartoon.

About 20 minutes passed when you heard Steven walking up the stairs. He was dressed in a new black t-shirt and jeans. When he made it to the top, he paused, leaning on the wall.  The boy then proceeded to sip on a juice box he grabbed from the kitchen and stared at you.  You awkwardly watched him as he made a funny hollow gurgling sound while sucking on the almost empty juice box. He finally stopped, raising his eyebrows

" Hey"

"Pshh hello doofus"

Chapter 2!! 😄 Man, writing fanfiction takes  so much energy. Props to all those writers out there, y'all awesome.