Chapter Three

By the time I finish looking over all of this stuff it is nearing five o'clock. The weather still isn't letting up and I don't think I'll be going anywhere soon. I go to search for Caroline to figure out her plan for the evening. I don't have to search far, she's at the front of the bar, using the mop as a microphone to karaoke with Elvis coming out of the jukebox. Watching her long auburn hair sway along with her hips makes me grin. She twirls around and comes to a stop when she sees me.

"Nice moves," I say still grinning.

She doesn't seem embarrassed, she just laughed and says, "Yeah, yeah. So, did you look through all of the paperwork?"

My back straightens as I attempt to break down what she needs to do. I've put my best effort into constructed the most feasible marketing plan that will help Caroline keep the doors to her bar open. The longer I speak the more I notice that she has no clue what I am talking about. Her scrunched-up face is the most adorable thing that I have ever seen. I feel this sudden urge to just hug her and hold her tight. I want to help her; I want to do whatever I can to make her life easier and better. Ugh, what is wrong with me? I sound like a romantic and Max Callahan does not do romance. Snap out of it, dude. What happened to no women or relationships?

"You know what, how about I just take care of it when this winter storm dies down? I can take care of everything you need, with your signature, when I get back to my office," I rush out to get rid of the confused look on her face. Wow, Max, your brain and mouth are not connected at all. Whatever I was thinking vanished when a bright grin formed on her face. I will do anything to keep that smile in my life. Woah, too far. What is wrong with you, Max?

"Oh my, Max! That would be the best thing ever, thank you so much," she squeals as she throws her arms around me.

I wrap my arms around her and hug her back. Abort mission. Abort mission. Abort mission. I should not like this as much as I do. I'm a goner. As cliché as it sounds, I actually felt sparks when she hugged me. I am never letting this woman out of my life, screw my no women or relationship motto. Slow down, Max. This is way too soon. You don't even know each other. Caroline backs away and starts talking a mile a minute, my head is spinning, and I can't focus on what she's saying until I hear the word dinner.

"Dinner! Dinner sounds great, what do you want? I can cook," I rush out. Deep breaths, Max, deep breaths.

"No, I'll cook as a thank you! It doesn't look like you'll be going anywhere tonight, the storm still isn't letting up. So, how about you pull your couch out here by the fireplace. The power is bound to go out anytime and this way you'll stay warm," she says happily.

"What about you? Will you be warm enough?"

She smirks and walks into the kitchen saying, "You look strong, but not strong enough to carry my mattress down my apartment steps. I figured we could bring it down together after

dinner."

Should my masculinity be offended by that remark? Probably, but I don't really care. I'm so infatuated with her that she could say whatever she wanted, and I would still look at her with heart eyes.

I follow her into the kitchen, sitting down where we ate brunch, only to have a repeat of this morning—watching her cook for me. I like the thought of her cooking for me. Yikes, that sounds super caveman, Max. I can't help it, it's like cupid has shot me with a love arrow.

Everything about her makes me feel complete. I've never felt like this before, I don't know what is wrong with me. Why does everything she does bring a smile to my face? Why do I feel like her eyes can directly see my soul when she looks at me? What is wrong with me, I sound just like a girl. I've known her for less than twenty-four hours. Get it together, Max. You sound crazy.