3-Out On The Track

Start from the beginning

A few of the other girls had already taken off but I taken a few extra precautions and stretched myself.

Samara already had popped her headphones in and began running.
I didn't think to bring my headphones because my high school coach thought music was a distraction and a clutch when it came to running. The energy that music gave you was different from going off your own body.

I started off with a small jog and though I could finish the first few miles with a jog and the last one or two with a bit more of a run to make sure I actually got a good work in.

As some of the girls ran past the boys who were on the soccer, football and baseball field, a few of the boys looked back giving the girls a once over while the girl returned the interest by giving them a quick look.

I didn't care for distractions and this wasn't me trying to say anything to make myself seem superior or better than any of my fellow teammates because i'm sure a couple of these girls were better than me, this is just something that I took too serious, track was the only reason I was even allowed in to this school and I was not going to mess that up.

As my last lap was closing in on me and I was concentrated on finishing strong, I heard a few people shouting to look out and I didn't pay any attention, what were the chances of them talking to me? I was in a completely different area, away from anyone who was throwing a ball but moment's later everything had went black.

"Are you okay?" A voice I didn't recognize was hovering over me.

"Dumb ass I told you not to throw spirals you can't do that shit." A second voice sprung out after the first.

"You guys are both dumb asses." I could recognize Samara's voice.

I sat up a bit and instantly was hit by a wave of dizziness.

"Is she okay ?!" Someone called out.

"Yeah she's fine ! She's fine , just needs a minute!" Samara called out hopefully stopping anyone from coming over and looking at my shame.

The three of them helped me to my feet and even though I was still a bit dizzy and wanted to sit back down I fought against it.

"I'm sorry my teem mate here can't throw a fucking spiral."

Once I was finally able to make out the scenery around me , I could make out the two football players that towered over me even while standing.

"It's my bad, I swear... I wasn't aiming for you."

"Hard to believe when the football field isn't even facing the track." Samara chimed in. Her arm wrapped around my back for support.

"Look wrong introductions... I'm Raphael but everyone just calls me Raphi." Raphael was brown skin , ombre black and blonde shoulder length dreads and resembled Fetty Wap. "And my friend with the bad arm here is Josiah."

Josiah looked away with a roll of his eyes, he was dark skinned, faded hair cut and a beard that made him look older than he probably was but it was neatly cut. "Like I said, it was an accident..."

"Can we get the football back!" Another football player jogged over to the small group that formed on the track.

"Really Joshua we're just checking on the young lady." Raphael took the football that he was juggling in his hands and threw it back at the boy.

"Wh- oh!" He stuck his head through Raphael and Josiah giving me and Samara a creepy look over. Joshua was the complete opposite of Josiah and Raphael. While he stood tall, he was a ginger haired white boy , slim but cute in the face. "One of the reasons I wanted to go to an HBCU... fine women of color."