Friction - 18

It took a while for Kisaku to collect his thoughts. The moment Y/n and (S/b) had come into contact, he felt like he had missed a step on the stairs — or more accurately, he had started eavesdropping in the middle of their conversation. None of what happened made any logical sense to him.

Where did salad dressing fit into all this? Why had (S/b) been determined for years to drop something like that off? Such a trivial item.

And that conversation...

"Do you still laugh, Y/n?"

"All the time."

"Does it still make you laugh?"

"Sometimes. How about you?"

"Sometimes."

"Everything went wrong the moment you were born..."

Y/n laughing: "They still hate me."

Then the hard look in (S/b)'s eyes when they said — in the firmest voice they had managed in Kisaku's presence — "I'll remember that."

Kisaku pushed a hand through his hair. They are a pair all right. He had no idea what he had been expecting from Y/n's sibling. There was no time for catching up. Neither of them had asked anything of each other. Neither of them mentioned their current situation in life. Neither of them even appeared interested or happy to see the other.

Y/n had been acting in a way Kisaku wasn't familiar with and (S/b) had been exhibiting tics of anxiety and paranoia until they were in front of their brother. Then it was nothing but cold, emotionless masks, harsh laughter, and salad dressing.

But the way (S/b) had looked directly into Kisaku's eyes: "I'll remember that." sent a shudder down the man's spine. It didn't sound like an empty response.

It sounded like... a threat; a promise.

Y/n, the impression of a hot hand around the back of Kisaku's neck — "(S/b) is a... dangerous person. Don't let them know you suspect them." Like a cold whisper over the doctor's shoulder.

Then he knew it with a certainty he couldn't exactly explain.

I should not have said that.

I should not have revealed that to (S/b).

Y/n stared at the salad dressing for an immeasurable amount of time. It laid there, where it dropped, on the tile a few feet before the glass wall. He didn't stop staring at it — at its nondescript label, at its small labeled warning "not for resale" — until he heard the gate to Ward X clank open.

The doctor, he guessed.

Y/n flushed with anger just at the thought. Pressing his hands more firmly against the glass, he watched with narrow eyes as the brunette-haired man stalked his way down the corridor. Hazel eyes glanced up into Y/n's.

"Back?" the (h/c) boy questioned between clenched teeth. "Do you want to tell me what that was? I've made it a point not to have (S/b) visit and here you are —"

Dr. Haitani went for the locking mechanism on Y/n's door, disengaging it. As Kisaku attempted to pull the ajar door open, he found himself shocked into stillness as Y/n, unbelievably quick, stepped behind the door, dug his fingers into the crease of its window — and forced it shut before Kisaku could enter.

Staring through the little square door, Y/n snarled, "Do not even think of coming in here."

Kisaku stared numbly at his tingling fingers. They had been torn off the handle when Y/n had wrenched the door shut from his side. It took him a moment to acknowledge the anger on the (h/c) boy's face.