chapter 9

Yu huan pov

"Has Xichen had his lunch ?"

"Yes, mother"

Her blood red lips strecthed into smile as she turned to look at me.

"Good"

She continue sewing the cloud embroidery in her hands. I proceeded reading the wooden scroll in my hands that I happened to find lying around in my room. It was about the flying sword technique that was the first thing you would learn after receiving your own sword.

"How's Wei Ying doing ? Has Qiren been hard on him ?"

I shooked my head before replying.

"He is indeed as talented as you had expected. Overheard, uncle praising him while talking to Xichen. Xichen is considering on offering him a post here"

"That's good to hear"

Mother's attention resumed to the cloud embroidery, her mood seemed lighter after hearing and update about Wei wuxian. Mother was so fond of him, she even started treated him like her own son by. She was the first one who suggested taking him in as disciple. Xichen only agreed after I sided her and he has been exceeding our expectations ever since.

Mastering a wind and water talismans on his very first week was more than enough to prove how much of a potential he was to Xichen.

"Mother, I am curious about something"

She looked at me with a hint of curiousity in her eyes.

"Ask away"

"You are very fond of Wei Ying, you even wanted Xichen and father to take him in as disciple the day Wangji bought him to Gusu. If I may be so bold to ask, who is Wei wuxian to you"

I said with a gentle tone to avoid sounding like I am interrogating her. This matter had been bothering me for weeks and Xichen had been bugging me to ask mother about it. Moreover, there would a disciple who would report to her everyday on Wei wuxian and his progress which might seem inappropriate if not given an explanation.

"Wei wuxian was the son of my old friend who had passed on when he was just 6. They were ambushes by the fire clan's late general but luckily his mother casted a barrier spell on him and made him invinsible during the attack"

A lone tear slides down her face at the mention of her late best friend.

"Ever since the day she past on, I had been trying my very best to look after him from the above. He was supposed to die at the age of 7 due to starvation but I begged the Star u lord to let him live and write the best fate he could come up with"

She looked to the window that showed the northern side of Gusu, the   emerald green grass contrast very well with the bright aqua blue sky. Her faced showed the hardships that she had gone through for Wei Ying.

"But now, he is here in cloud recesses which makes me more relieved even when I shouldn't be"

She finished the last stitch before showing it to me. The clouds look more vivid than it should be. If sewn on a bigger piece of cloth, it would make a fine outer robe which she could give to father.

"Yu huan, I hope you learn something  useful today"

She place the embroidery infront me and left the room. My hands gently caressed the edge of the silky threads as I finally understood what mother was trying to tell me.

The embroidered clouds may look beautifully and real but in the end, it is still only a piece of cloth that had some pretty patterns sewn on it. Like Wei Ying, he may be fast learner in the divine arts but at the end, he is still only a mortal.