12

"Look at the crap." Virgil tensed up hidden beside the bookshelf as he watched Lydia walk right past him. He ducked behind a door and just waited. What the hell was he doing? Not even he understood what was going on in his head. In all honesty, he wished he could scare the shit out of these guys like Roy had done with Janus before. Actually no... Virgil let out a shaky breath only to yip at the sound of something getting thrown and shattered. He just wanted Roy. "Nothing but shit. Colt, you good down there?!" Virgil shifted accidentally knocking the door and froze up. "The fuck was that?"

Virgil could feel his throat close up. His panic slowly began to rise up. He could hear the footsteps coming closer and closer until... A hand grabbed his hand started dragging him over to the closet. Virgil couldn't breathe. He just watched frozen and completely out of it as the person soundlessly moved things just enough to reveal a hole in the wall.  Virgil's eyes went wide as the person spun around to show his green eyes and Virgil just slammed him in a hug shocking him.

"Virgil, we have to go." Virgil nodded unable to talk as Roy nudged him towards the path. The moment they both crawled through Roy covered it back up with a board and took off again. They were basically in the walls. That's when it hit him... 

"Wait!" Virgil tensed as anxiety fired through his blood just over the whisper. "Janus."

"He's ok, Virgil." Roy could see just how tense his friend was. "Come on, Stormcloud. He's ok."

"B-But... I left him downstairs. I..." Roy just smiled as he took Virgil's hand again and started to lead him through. "Roy, where are we going?"

"Janus was taken to the hideout in the basement." Virgil's eyes went wide as he spotted Lydia through a crack in the wall. "My brother and I made all these passageways and hideouts when we had lived here. I'm taking you through them to get..." Virgil froze up stopping them both and Roy just frowned. "I know... I know you know but... please... I just want to keep you safe."

"Where are we going?" Roy glanced back and Virgil was frozen under the pure emotion that was held in those eyes. "Roy, please. My friend could be in danger. I need to know." Roy just smiled sadly as he pushed Virgil into this room. "Roy!"

"I'm not leaving you. I'm answering your question." Virgil frowned in confusion as Roy stepped back. "But I can't do that without an answer so... just say here. You'll be safe."

"Don't you think we call your father?" Roy froze up and Virgil watched the pain increase in him. "Roy?"

"I, uh... No. I can't, but don't worry, Emo nightmare. I won't let anything happen to you."

"Then don't leave me." Roy's eyes widened as Virgil grabbed his hand tightly. "Don't leave me... please?"

"But Jan..."

"I trust you." Roy started to smile as Virgil just shook. "If you say he safe... Then I trust that he's safe. I know that... I just..." Virgil could feel his breath leaving him as he clung to Roy while the panic set in bad. "I can't..."

"It's ok, Stormcloud." Roy pulled Virgil in and just held him tightly as he carded his fingers through the boy's hair. "You're ok. I've got you. Janus is safe. I promise you both will make it out of this. I promise... and I don't break promises. It's not in my nature. I'll protect you."

"You're starting to sound like a prince." Roy chuckled softly as Virgil pressed himself further into the boy. "Thank you."

"Don't thank me yet." Roy pulled away and wiped the tears from Virgil's eyes with a bright yet soft smile. "I still have to get you out." The two fell into silence as they made their way through. Once they found the right room Roy shifted pulling this board away to reveal a drop. Virgil shot him this look and Roy just chuckled. "My brother was very... odd. He wanted passages and hidden tunnels everywhere." 

"Including through the ceiling?" Roy just nodded as he shrugged.

"He's watched to many movies." Roy held his hand out for the other who shifted anxiously. "It's ok, Virgil. I'm right here." Virgil took a deep breath and nodded as he allowed himself to led over. "Just drop down and hide by the bookshelf. I'll be right behind you." Virgil swallowed his anxiety as he looked over and... right before he could drop down, he thought he saw two other people... then it was just him. 

Virgil quickly listened and jumped beside the bookshelf struggling to catch his breath. He was in his father's office. He could tell that much through the haze of his panic. He tried to count. He thought maybe that would help but as he climbed up in numbers the reality set in. Roy had yet to drop down. His eyes shot wide the moment he realized this and fear crawled up his spine. He looked up hoping to see him there but no sign of him. He couldn't stop the tears that began to fall.

"Hey, now stormcloud..." Virgil jumped as a hand brushed his tears away only to relax seeing Roy there. "You're ok."

"What took you so long?" Roy faltered a bit seeing the fear in the other and just pulled him into a hug. "I was worried. Y-You said you would be right behind me."

"I'm sorry. It's ok. I didn't... I didn't mean to frighten you." Roy pulled away and brushed Virgil's hair back with a serious look in his eyes. "But I am going to have to leave you." Virgil's eyes went wide as Roy frowned. "It won't be for long. You'll be safe. I just... I need you to be brave." Virgil Virgil could feel his blood turn to ice as Roy tried to talk to him. "You aren't far from the basement. You'll be ok. Janus is there waiting. Just go to the basement. He'll take you to the hide... wait for me to come back."

"Roy..."

"You'll be ok, Virgil." Virgil's eyes went wide seeing the panic in Roy's and he understood. He didn't have a choice. "Do you trust me?"

"I already said I did." Roy nodded as he squeezed Virgil's hand tightly and nudged him on.

"Then go." Roy watched as Virgil ran out of the room and his body practically dropped.

"Are you sure you want to do this kiddo?" Roy frowned as he clenched his fists tightly.

"I am sure we could determine a better course of action considering all the possible repercussions of such actions." Roy's eyes burned with a fire not many saw from the man as he just nodded.

"Nobody hurts those I care about."