02| The Woman with Fiery Red Hair

It thankfully wasn't too long before I was again able to traverse the streets of Orth

It thankfully wasn't too long before I was again able to traverse the streets of Orth. It was me and Mother (against Father's insisting that he should go so he could carry everything), picking up some things. Already we were getting business, though it was just people buying medicines and such, nothing major... yet!

Our errands brought us to the central district of Orth, where the more busy and popular businesses were established. It was the district closest to the Abyss itself, but this didn't stop people from setting up roadside stalls, hoping to pawn their merchandise as well.

Among the normal citizens, there were people wearing tan and brown mining gear. Their looks were uniform, save for the whistles that hung from their necks. The whistles came in various colors, from black to blue to purple. These were the people Father had spoken of. They were called Delvers, those who brought up Relics from the Abyss. I couldn't take my eyes off them whenever they passed by. They probably thought I was crazy, but I didn't care.

Of course, when I wasn't looking at the Delvers, I was looking at the Abyss. Through the alleyways and down the side streets, I could glimpse the great pit, closer than ever.

"What do you keep staring at?" my mother asked, confused.

"The Abyss," I said. "When we're done, can we go closer? I want to see it better."

Concern tugged the corners of Mother's mouth down into a frown. "We're not allowed to get too close since we're not Delvers, but I suppose we can go a little closer." My request seemed to intrigue her. "I haven't seen you this interested in something in a while. Are your books not enough?"

"They are! But... the Abyss is so much more interesting. Why would I want to read about places that have been explored when the Abyss hasn't?"

"You're really hanging onto that, aren't you?" Mother said. "You have always wanted to be an explorer, so I can see why you'd be so interested. Still, maybe consider helping out at the clinic to be a little bit more important?"

"Mh-hm," I hummed, half-listening.

A group of children passed by us then, led by a few adults. I was surprised to see they were around my age, but they wore the gear of Delvers. They even had whistles, though theirs were a bright red. Were they Delvers? If they were, I was surprised. Was the Abyss really that dangerous if kids were allowed to go into it?

"Mother, look." I tugged at her sleeve to get her attention. She looked, and she was surprised by the sight as well.

"Children?" she questioned rhetorically. "I believe they're from one of the orphanages... And I thought only adults were Delvers."

"Maybe the Abyss isn't that dangerous then," I said.

Mother's frown deepened. "I wouldn't be so quick to believe that."